4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

GEARS INSTALLED NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM
KYZER
1st Gear Member

Default GEARS INSTALLED NEED HELP!

I had someone install my 373 gear and now everytime I turn the rear end is making a clanking type noise the guy said its normal the clutches are dry and need to absorbe the oil so in 2 or three days it will go away is there anyone with the same experience or is this guy flat out lying thanks for all your help
Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: GEARS INSTALLED NEED HELP!

How much time would it take?I mean the diff. is filled with oil for craps sake.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:38 PM
BlackMustang02GT
4th Gear Member

lol true that... it shouldnt make any noise at all!! if anything it should whine but not clank!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 08:40 PM
H0SS302
6th Gear Member

yea you need to tell whoever installed em to do it again...and do it right
Old 04-28-2007, 08:59 PM
KYZER
1st Gear Member

We'll I guess I know what I need to do I figured he was wrong but I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt lol I guess I shouldn't of
Old 04-28-2007, 09:24 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

A traction-lok differential will sound like this (like they left a wrench in there), if they didn't add friction modifier to the oil--the friction modifier reduces the friction between theclutch plates making them slip more freely at low differential speeds, rather than loading up and then breaking free.[/align][/align]Also, if they rebuilt the traction-lokclutch pack the clutch plates should have been soaked in gear oil overnight. If they were just dunked before assembly (or heaven forbid installed dry) then they will clank and clunk 'til they soak up the lube. You can acclerate this as follows:[/align][/align]First, make 100% sure they added friction modifier, then go to an empty parking lot and do some slow speed circles--first one way for 6-7 circles, then they other. Feel the differential cover after doing this in one direction, don't let it get flaming hot. You should be able to touch it briefly without saying bad words, but not be able to keep your hand on it (140°F to 169°F); then when it's that hot let it cool for 30 minutes and do the circles again.[/align][/align]If the plates were installed dry then they may be screwed already, if they were not soaked overnight but just dunked then they will probably be OK--but once again, make sure they used friction modifier!!![/align]
Old 04-28-2007, 09:32 PM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

i didnt add friction modifier to my gear oil when i changed it today, will it be okay for a night? ill put some in 2morrow
Old 04-28-2007, 09:42 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: ^iLLuSiOn^

i didnt add friction modifier to my gear oil when i changed it today, will it be okay for a night? ill put some in 2morrow
[/align][/align]Sure, there's enough soaked into the clutch plates that you'll be OK for 50-60 miles, don't go for a road trip though... [/align][/align]I should have said in my earlier posting that there are those who say you don't need friction modifier with some brands (or even any) synthetic gear oil. This may or may not be true, however I have not found anyone in the Daytona Beach area that says this. Most shops around here use Valvoline full synthetic oil and Ford Racing's CM-19546-A1 friction modifier.[/align][/align]
Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 PM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

ok thanks, i put royal purple 75 90 in mine today, ill get some friction modifier 2morrow tho thanks alot
Old 04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Oh, Ford's recommendation is to use 3.8 oz. of friction modifier--using more will make the traction-lok less effective, using less will make it more aggressive. I have used less (2.5 oz) when changing oil as the miles pile up (after 60k) as it can make up for plate wear to some extent...

Quick Reply: GEARS INSTALLED NEED HELP!