4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Tech Q about new motor/supercharger

Old 04-30-2007, 02:26 PM
Triisomy21
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Tech Q about new motor/supercharger

yes, you're right...but I'm probably losing my job.

Anywho, back on topic!!
Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 PM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

If you do take a loan out for mods, have the mods added onto your insurance policy..

I dunno if there will be issues breaking in a new engine and a new sc at the same time.. for some reason it seems to me that there will be some issues, but I dunno much about that yet.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99gtstang

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Loan to modify a car? What do you do when someone Tbones you at a light and total the car out. Then you are paying on a loan with nothing to show for it.

But if your gonna do it anyway just forge the shortblock and slap on a supercharger.
car is paid for and to save that kind of money would take forever + i don't want to dip into savings that $ for really important stuff.....

lol but thanks for the advice
well if your car is totaled, itll be like having a car payment without a car, so chances are youll have to dip into ur savings.. i say use some of it for a down payment on a newer GT. the 3v will be so much better to mod, if you are dead set on loaning on something that declines in value no matter what, therefore is probably the worst financial decision you can make.
Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

You may not realize this, but 10 grand really might not be enough...

Blower Kit : 4000
Forged Shortblock : 3500
Misc Gaskets', bearings, etc : 500

Thats 8 grand right there, using stock heads and cams. If you want upgraded heads and cams... thats $$$ Extra. Not counting transmission upgrades/rebuilds, 31spline axles and gears.. It adds up quick to do it right, and not doing it right will cost you more in the long run. Also I make no mention of the labor costs...

Use the 10 Grand and go back to school or start a business or something, unless your 100% hardcore into drag racing, which would mean you should be able to get sponsored anyway. Just my .02
Old 04-30-2007, 07:37 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

you also left out fuel upgrades, ignition upgrades....labor is gonna be high. i had mph do all my stuff...and im gonna tell you right now 10k isnt gonna do it. they quoted me 8k just for the motor, installed and tuned. then you need about 4500 for blower and install and tune, and then you gotta have money to stay there, and money for gas there and back. you will honestly need about 15k-20k for them to do it.

honestly just get a new car. its not worth it.
ORIGINAL: Sap

Thats 8 grand right there, using stock heads and cams. If you want upgraded heads and cams... thats $$$ Extra. Not counting transmission upgrades/rebuilds, 31spline axles and gears.. It adds up quick to do it right, and not doing it right will cost you more in the long run. Also I make no mention of the labor costs...

Use the 10 Grand and go back to school or start a business or something, unless your 100% hardcore into drag racing, which would mean you should be able to get sponsored anyway. Just my .02
Old 04-30-2007, 09:20 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: nanaki

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Getting a loan for mods=bad idea.
+1

what are you? 18?
LOLI am 24

and how old are you with a comment like that 16?

I asked for tech advice not financial advice ifI wanted that I would ask Clark Howard.

Anyway my car is paid for and it's my DD so I want something fast and reliable. I am sure my car won't last forever so I am planning ahead. What are signature loans for anyway? Your problaby one of those who puts everything on a credit card right! If so what's the difference?

But thanks for your input! I will seriously consider that.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

Loan to modify a car? What do you do when someone Tbones you at a light and total the car out. Then you are paying on a loan with nothing to show for it.

But if your gonna do it anyway just forge the shortblock and slap on a supercharger.
That's a chance I take. Insurance would help some my wife is in the insurance field I am sure that would help. Plus we are talking about a $206 monthly payment.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:23 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: code3GT

Getting a loan for mods=bad idea.

I agree to some extent but I am looking at it like it's a new car with half the payment. Not really mods but a new engine/tranny all the way around I am at 125K now and it's my DD.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:25 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: 99gtstang

car is paid for and to save that kind of money would take forever + i don't want to dip into savings that $ for really important stuff.....

lol but thanks for the advice
well if your car is totaled, itll be like having a car payment without a car, so chances are youll have to dip into ur savings.. i say use some of it for a down payment on a newer GT. the 3v will be so much better to mod, if you are dead set on loaning on something that declines in value no matter what, therefore is probably the worst financial decision you can make.
I do not plan to get rid of the car unless I wreck it or loose my job. Other then that I will have it forever.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

you also left out fuel upgrades, ignition upgrades....labor is gonna be high. i had mph do all my stuff...and im gonna tell you right now 10k isnt gonna do it. they quoted me 8k just for the motor, installed and tuned. then you need about 4500 for blower and install and tune, and then you gotta have money to stay there, and money for gas there and back. you will honestly need about 15k-20k for them to do it.

honestly just get a new car. its not worth it.
ORIGINAL: Sap

Good point... maybe I should re consider.. maybe just get it rebuild, heads, cams, other smaller things.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tech Q about new motor/supercharger