4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

2004 Rack and Pinion Steering Unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 11:11 PM
mariotraci
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: 2004 Rack and Pinion Steering Unit

http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFram...&dtc=P1130 -DIY Power Steering Gear creak fix

One of the first things I noticed on my "new-to-me" 2003 Mustang GT (after the initial rush wore off) was that there was a quite noticeable creaking emanating from the steering gear when the wheels were turned when stopped, or at low speeds. Turning to the web I discovered Ford's TSB 05-14-3 which referenced the exact symptom and described the fix as replacing the power steering gear tube brackets with updated parts (Ford p/n E5DZ-3K620-A).
Being basically cheap (my grandfather was Scottish) I decided to see what I could do to fix the problem for free--so, armed with this clue I crawled under the 'Stang and while observing the steering rack as my reluctant assistant (she's always a bit hesitant in these sorts of things) turned the steering wheel back and forth the problem became obvious. The rack is mounted on two tubular studs (the tube bracket as Ford calls it) with rubber "doughnut" isolation bushings. The tubes are fastened to the front cross member, and the rubber bushings preloaded, by long bolts passing through the tube brackets--much like a stud mounted shock absorber--as my wife twisted the wheel I could see the rack assembly shifting nearly 1/8", from side to side, in the rubber mounts; in synchronization with the creaking.
Upon disassembly the fix also became obvious. The tube brackets were too long, preventing proper preloading of the rubber bushings, make them not so long and the creaking would be gone
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

Thanks MarioTraci!

I knew I had read something about this before.

Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Here's a direct link...[/align]
Old 09-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

Thumbs up

Not trying to dig up an old thread... Just wanted to give a big thank you to Paladin Micro for making his guide. My car had that annoying creak when I turned the wheel right or left in the parking lot or at very low speeds. I followed Paladin Micro's guide today step by step with no problems. It took me nearly 2 hours because I'm a novice, but the creaking has been completely eliminated. Props to Paladin Micro...
Old 09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Yeah, that's a mustang problem.. they all do it at low speeds after some miles are on the car.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:04 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Thank you very much, it's nice to know that it has helped you out!

-cliff-
Old 08-18-2010, 11:22 AM
ggstang04

Originally Posted by mariotraci
http://www.paladinmicro.com/PalMFram...&dtc=P1130 -DIY Power Steering Gear creak fix

One of the first things I noticed on my "new-to-me" 2003 Mustang GT (after the initial rush wore off) was that there was a quite noticeable creaking emanating from the steering gear when the wheels were turned when stopped, or at low speeds. Turning to the web I discovered Ford's TSB 05-14-3 which referenced the exact symptom and described the fix as replacing the power steering gear tube brackets with updated parts (Ford p/n E5DZ-3K620-A).
Being basically cheap (my grandfather was Scottish) I decided to see what I could do to fix the problem for free--so, armed with this clue I crawled under the 'Stang and while observing the steering rack as my reluctant assistant (she's always a bit hesitant in these sorts of things) turned the steering wheel back and forth the problem became obvious. The rack is mounted on two tubular studs (the tube bracket as Ford calls it) with rubber "doughnut" isolation bushings. The tubes are fastened to the front cross member, and the rubber bushings preloaded, by long bolts passing through the tube brackets--much like a stud mounted shock absorber--as my wife twisted the wheel I could see the rack assembly shifting nearly 1/8", from side to side, in the rubber mounts; in synchronization with the creaking.
Upon disassembly the fix also became obvious. The tube brackets were too long, preventing proper preloading of the rubber bushings, make them not so long and the creaking would be gone
Thanks for the tip, did you have to replace the bushings that hold the rack in place? is it difficult? Will I need to have the bushings pressed in? I will appreciate your feed back, thank you.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Originally Posted by ggstang04
Thanks for the tip, did you have to replace the bushings that hold the rack in place? is it difficult? Will I need to have the bushings pressed in? I will appreciate your feed back, thank you.
The bushings are soft rubber, they come out by hand. Unless they are gummy (from engine oil, etc.) or hardened up they do not need to be replaced--shortening the tube brackets creates a higher preload on the m which holds the steering rack more firmly in place.

3-1/2" years and 66k miles later mine are still doing their job...