4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Next mod?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 04:53 AM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

Default Next mod?

ok so far i have this sitting in my room

-tunable induction CAI w/ Pro M 85 mm MAM

-steeda underdrive pulleys & timing adjuster

-pypes X pipe w/ 2 High Flow cats

now ... would i see more gains if i got lets say the diablosport predator or delta chip(whichever is cheaper)..... OR would it be better for me to get a TB and plenum and screw the diablosport stuff...

If it is better to get the dibalo sport tuner or delta chip ill be returning the steeda timing adjuster, but if ill see more gains from keeping the timing adjuster and getting a new TB and plenum instead of the tuner, then thats what ill do ... let me knwo what u guys think
Old 12-10-2004, 05:03 AM
devinsteen
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Next mod?

Screw the TB/plenum combo for now. Get a cat-back or headers instead. Don't worry about the custom chips until you're done modding.
Old 12-10-2004, 05:24 AM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

thats just it, this will be my last mod before i sell my car... so i want to figure out what the best thing out of those 2 is for me to do
Old 12-10-2004, 08:12 AM
ONE BAD GT
2nd Gear Member

go with the throttle body and plenum and keep the adjuster. I don't thing the tuner could adjust the timing all the way to 14. it only advances like 2 or 3 degrees. You should really thing about gears. Thats better than all those ideas.
Old 12-10-2004, 12:25 PM
cammedlx
5th Gear Member

i can't belive nobody has said this GEARS and no less than 4.10's bet mod for the money

Old 12-10-2004, 01:15 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

a chip / tune is a better mod than most think. not only do you get more timing (you can get as much timing as the tuner is "tooned" for) bujt you also get a more powerful a/f mix and can get the fan on earlier for better cooling, correct for gear changes, firm shifts in an auto, turn off the EGR system, turn off the traction control, have 2 step limiters (depends on the chip), etc.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:07 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

so MD, not clear on what u think exactly ... u think i should return my Timing Adjuster.... and with the CAI, MAM, and X pipe , U/D pulleys...my best last mod would be the predator?.... ive heard that the predator only bumps up timing 2* as opposed to a timing adjuster which i can safley bump up 4*.... it seems to me that u know your stuff better than most people here so thats why im asking u this.... CAI, MAM, x pipe & UD pulleys. so basically it boils down to me getting the timing adjuster and maybe 1 more mod like a TB or maybe a TB and Plenum... or not getting the TB or plenum, returning the timing adjuster and just getting the tuner instead .... u knwo your stuff so im gonna go with whatever u tell me would show me the best gains.... FYI.. i have a 1999 GT 5spd Coupe .. if that matters

thanks

-daniel
Old 12-10-2004, 03:30 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

a chip / tune is a better mod than most think. not only do you get more timing (you can get as much timing as the tuner is "tooned" for) bujt you also get a more powerful a/f mix and can get the fan on earlier for better cooling, correct for gear changes, firm shifts in an auto, turn off the EGR system, turn off the traction control, have 2 step limiters (depends on the chip), etc.
True, however without a custom tune and a dyno all of the chips in the world are useless.

I know people claim that they can tune a car by seat of the pants feel within 2-3 RWHP, but its bull****. If they could, there wouldnt be such thing as a dyno.

If your not going to get the chip custom tuned forget it, and get some gears and a catback. If nothing else, the catback will help sell the car because it will "sound" faster, and the gears will surely make it feel faster.
Old 12-10-2004, 03:45 PM
GT1999
3rd Gear Member

well i already have flows welded in to the stoc catback so it sounds real nice, and when i put the X pipe on, itll sound even better, PLUS.... gears will cost around 500 installed and a catback is around 400.. i cant afford gears, and i dont care for a catback at this point because im sure it wont make a HUDGE diff.... i already have an X pipe and flows welded to my stock catback... im sure thats good. so do u see where im comming from?... im looking to spend about 300 more bucks than i already have.... thats why i said i want to get the predator OR get the timing adjuster w/ a 70mm TB or something... so i was just wondering which mod id notice more gains with...
Old 12-10-2004, 03:48 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I know people claim that they can tune a car by seat of the pants feel within 2-3 RWHP, but its ****. If they could, there wouldnt be such thing as a dyno.
...I am one of those people. It is VERY do-able to tune your car w/o a dyno if you have a digital wideband on your car. The digital wideband tells you the same thing the dyno does. With a dig wideband and a friend and some time, you can tune it to within 1% on the street. To do this right you need a way to adjust the timing (you already hace a timing adjuster) and a way to adjust the air/fuel ratio on the fly. A pro M MAF tuner allows for this. I wanna know why 2000GT4.6 doesn,'t believe this method works? The only added thing the dyno will do for you is give you rwhp.

Quick Reply: Next mod?