4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger install help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 06:59 AM
fordnut65

Default supercharger install help needed

Im helping a friend on his 04 Mach I..doing a Vortech kit w/o the aftercooler...if anyone has done this kit or is familiar with it...let me know...the install is nearly complete but I have a few questions I am seeking help with...belt/pulleys being one as well as MAF wiring mods.

Again, if anyone has done one of these or has one of these cars, let me know...just for the heck of it...which is better trans to have...5spd or an auto...I say 5spd but my friend disagrees...

Let me know guys and thanks in advance

fordnut65
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger install help needed

Go ahead and ask your questions. I don't have a vortech but I may be able to help you. As for your other question, an auto can be great if it's set up right but a 5speed is more fun to drive.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:14 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I did the install in my garage, but on a GT (probably very similar to a mach 1 install). What is the problem?

so far as the trans, its a matter of personal taste until about mid 11s, where the auto really starts to shine.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:06 PM
fordnut65

The main proble is the belt...the sucker doesnt fit..is is approx 5 inches too short...with the thing routed less p/s it is about 1/2-3/4" to the right of the p/s pulley nut when facing front of car. I was looking through the booklet online last night and it mentioned the water pump pulley being replaced with an aluminum one...dumb question...is the one in the kit aluminum in color or powder coated black...reason I ask is the one on there is black...my gut tells me thats a part of the issue...Another belt related issue is the tensioner...how much does yours move ?? The one on this moves maybe 3/8"..and thats being generous.
I went down to Ford as I was wondering if the a/c or p/s have any belt adjustments...poorly done pics didnt really tell me anything so Im wondering that also.
issue 2 is the MAF wiring..the factory plug is way too short to reach down to where it plugs in above the air filter...I didnt see any extension in the parts list either aside from the outer wire pigtail that you splice into the harness...will cutting back some of the harness tape be enough to make the factory plug fit way down there ?? I know some of these ?? seem basic...and they are, but Im coming into this thing with the bulk of stuff done and am wrapping it up..gotta love griping among brothers...if anyone has any pics of their setup that would be sweet also.

Thanks very much and I appologize for the long post.

fordnut65
Old 05-03-2007, 02:36 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordnut65

The main proble is the belt...the sucker doesnt fit..is is approx 5 inches too short...with the thing routed less p/s it is about 1/2-3/4" to the right of the p/s pulley nut when facing front of car. I was looking through the booklet online last night and it mentioned the water pump pulley being replaced with an aluminum one...dumb question...is the one in the kit aluminum in color or powder coated black...reason I ask is the one on there is black...my gut tells me thats a part of the issue...Another belt related issue is the tensioner...how much does yours move ?? The one on this moves maybe 3/8"..and thats being generous.
I went down to Ford as I was wondering if the a/c or p/s have any belt adjustments...poorly done pics didnt really tell me anything so Im wondering that also.
issue 2 is the MAF wiring..the factory plug is way too short to reach down to where it plugs in above the air filter...I didnt see any extension in the parts list either aside from the outer wire pigtail that you splice into the harness...will cutting back some of the harness tape be enough to make the factory plug fit way down there ?? I know some of these ?? seem basic...and they are, but Im coming into this thing with the bulk of stuff done and am wrapping it up..gotta love griping among brothers...if anyone has any pics of their setup that would be sweet also.

Thanks very much and I appologize for the long post.

fordnut65
The vortechs do not come with any new pulleys for the water pump etc. It only comes with the ones you mount onto the bracket (I think you even take a stock one off to mount it on there if I remeber right).

What belt # are you running? Is it a vortech belt? Can you take a pic of what route you took? There are no adjustments on the other pulleys (water/powersteering etc). So far as the tensioner, it should move ALOT. talking 4+ inches if not more, it should swing from something like a negitive 60+ degree angle all the way to past straight up and down.

On the MAF, I think I had to cut a little of the tape off, but other than that it should reach. I don't remember having any problems with it.

Did his car come with a seperate IAT sensor setup? If not, you have to pull the 2 wires out of the MAF for the IAT and install a seperate IAT sensor AFTER the supercharger. If you don't its gonna go boom when it heats up.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:28 PM
fordnut65

I went and checked the belt...Vortech says its the right belt...115 inches as I recall...the IAT does have the extra pigtail you splice into the harness at the MAF harness..as far as the belt routing...I went over this thing with the tech from vortech...and theres an illustration on pg 17 of their install guide which is the one the tech says is correct. I have tried the other routing to no avail.
As far as the tensioner...I agree that sucker should have a ton of adjustment....but the huge mondo s/c bracket that bolts to the engine covers the part of the tensioner you would grab onto with a breaker bar to adjust is covered totally by the s/c...the tensioner sits at about 10 o clock as installed. Does it take a herd of elephants to get the sucker to move or is it something that one can grab and heave at all to pop the belt on....when the belt is on..where does the tensioner sit at....12 o'clock or ????
The w/p pulley on it is correct and ya...no adjustments on a/c or p/s...

Let me know guys and thanks again :-)

fordnut65
Old 05-07-2007, 04:18 PM
Sap
4th Gear Member

With the tensioner, you have to take a piece of rope and pull it to the drivers side to move it, its a pain but once you've done it, you can replace belts with one person (i've done it on side of road, not fun but doable =P).

As for the pully's, the only pulleys you use are the ones suppled by vortech (replace stock idler, blower idler and blower pulley) iirc.

I'm looking in the manual (http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...s/4FR218im.pdf) and not sure how the belt could be too long? Make sure your routing it around the A/C correctly and not around the SC bolt, I did that once and it f'ed me up.

E.