4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

short throw shifter opinions

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 02:28 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Default RE: short throw shifter opinions

ORIGINAL: NORMAN99

I have the Steeda Tri-x and it sucks!!!!!!!!! Didn't noticed a difference. I plan to switch to MGW (Thanks to the forum on that!!!!)
LOL are you serious? Wow, I noticed a HUGE difference going from stock to MGW. The not only were the shifts alot shorter, but they were firmer, more precise and it's really impossible to miss a shift unless you are driving it very slowly/loosely and you simply just don't shift the shifter in the gate hard enough.

Let us know the difference going from Tri-Ax to MGW. I love my MGW other than the fact that 1st and 5th gear are a PITA. (especially 5th)
Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Driven by some wild hair, Iinstalled a Husrt T-handle onto my MGW a couple days ago (no pics yet) and have found that the somewhat awkard shifts (into 1st and 5th, and the 3-2 downshift) are gone, Gone, GONE![/align][/align]The MGW withthe T-handle is amazing, it allows you just enough "side" motion leverageso that the 1,5, 3-2 shiftsbecome effortless and as smooth as the 1-4 upshifts. [/align][/align]I'll see if I can get some photos today,most likelyit will be too aggressive and bold a look for some people's tastes (as is my exposed handle), but it sure as heck works like a charm...[/align]
Old 05-03-2007, 11:21 AM
plaroyce

I have the Steeda and like it. It seems as though those with MGW say MGW, and those with Steeda say Steeda. How can you like a shifter that's hard to get 1st, and 5th gear or are a PITA as some say.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: plaroyce

<snip>How can you like a shifter that's hard to get 1st, and 5th gear or are a PITA as some say.
[/align][/align]'Cause the ones in between are so sweet! It is true however, IMHO,that the MGW is not for everyone, particularly for those who have even a little bit of liking--I.e. anything less than a full disgust--for the OEM shifter (which after driving Miatas for 7 years made me want to vomit).[/align][/align]Because of its unique design it can be setup to have a ridiculously short throw, easily the shortest throw (meaning requiring the most shifting effort) available,by using a shorter stud for the shift ****; and does have the most powerful centering springs--in other words it is a very precise, full competition, shifter that makes you work a bit harder (the T-handle tames a lot of this).[/align][/align]The Tri-Ax and Pro 50 are great refinements of the OEM unit's design which get rid of the monkey-motion and rubbery feel while much of retaining much of theOEM unit's isolation of what's going on inside the tranny when you shift.[/align]
Old 05-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Driven by some wild hair, Iinstalled a Husrt T-handle onto my MGW a couple days ago (no pics yet) and have found that the somewhat awkard shifts (into 1st and 5th, and the 3-2 downshift) are gone, Gone, GONE![/align][/align]The MGW withthe T-handle is amazing, it allows you just enough "side" motion leverageso that the 1,5, 3-2 shiftsbecome effortless and as smooth as the 1-4 upshifts. [/align][/align]I'll see if I can get some photos today,most likelyit will be too aggressive and bold a look for some people's tastes (as is my exposed handle), but it sure as heck works like a charm...[/align]
Cliff, I would do almost anything to make the 1st, 5th and reverse easier to use. Yep its all in the side leverage being a problem. You hit the nail on the head about MGW, other than those issues it's a great shifter but main problem with the MGW is the centering spring, it's TOO stiff IMO. I'm hoping it loosens up even more after I use it more, but I think I just have to deal with it.

I am interested in your new shift ****, and if itmakes 1, 5 and R easier I am game. Please PM me or post pic ASAP. Thanks man.
Old 05-03-2007, 01:34 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: NORMAN99

I have the Steeda Tri-x and it sucks!!!!!!!!! Didn't noticed a difference. I plan to switch to MGW (Thanks to the forum on that!!!!)
You didnt notice a difference between the tri ax and what? Stock? If thats the case something is really wrong. The tri ax is a nice shifter, so is the mgw. Get which ever is cheapest.