4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 06:25 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Cooler?

oh yeah, i'm getting a cooler within the week now...i live in phoenix,az and it's hot as ***** out here already--already broke 100 this week. I appreciate all the quick replies and advice. thanks. If there is anything else i should be aware of feel free to post.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:31 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

Should i go with an oil cooler or trans fluid cooler?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:00 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

yeah here in vegas we hit 98
Old 05-03-2007, 07:12 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

What size cooler should i use? the guys at summit racing recommended this one.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...&N=700+150+
Old 05-03-2007, 07:22 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

looks like a decenty tranny cooler, my buddy has one with an electric fan you hardwire in, his tranny temp never climbs above 180
Old 05-03-2007, 07:28 PM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TorchRed04GT

ORIGINAL: sstang

Shift kits do not need tranny coolers. Sure a tranny cooler is not a bad idea, even on a stock transmission, but it is not necessary unless you are doing something like a higher stall converter. Shift kit companies always claim that their shift kits will improve performance and the LIFE of the transmission. The faster shifts actually puts less stress on the transmission and have less time to create heat. This is at least what I have heard. I am all for a tranny cooler, and I plan on getting one eventually, I'm just saying your not creating a ton of heat from firming the shifts.
NOOOOOOO You are wrong. Just get the cooler.
I'm not taking sides, cause I don't know who is right. But...I know what this guy is talking about. It has been posted time and time again on here that firmer shifts is good for tranny life.

I do plan on getting a tranny cooler asap. Does anyone know of any write ups on the install and mounting?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ORIGINAL: sstang

Shift kits do not need tranny coolers. Sure a tranny cooler is not a bad idea, even on a stock transmission, but it is not necessary unless you are doing something like a higher stall converter. Shift kit companies always claim that their shift kits will improve performance and the LIFE of the transmission. The faster shifts actually puts less stress on the transmission and have less time to create heat. This is at least what I have heard. I am all for a tranny cooler, and I plan on getting one eventually, I'm just saying your not creating a ton of heat from firming the shifts.
if thats the case, a firmer shift = higher pressure but less heat? try squeezing your hands together with as much pressure as you can, then just interlock them normalls as if you were sitting in a meeting and then tell me more pressure = less heat im not ripping you, im just saying that you are incorrect about that. However, you are correct about not listening to companies, shift kits may or may not improve tranny life, but the topic at hand, a transmission cooler will improve it.
Quicker /firmer shifts WILL extend the life of the transmission in the same way that not riding the clutch will improve the life of the clutch in a manual transmission.

HOWEVER, and this is the important part, THE METHOD by which these quicker/firmer shifts are achieved determines the additional stress that may or may not be put on the tranny.

Boosting the pressure is not the preferred method.

Back in the good old days, the Chrysler Torqeflite tranny could be made to shift nice and tight by replacing the accumulator spring with a blocker rod.
In fact the Police cars, Taxis and other heavy service vehicles were set up like that from the factory.

Of course, ma and pa kettle would object to a hard shifting tranny vs a nice "slide into gear" tranny so the standard cars had the spring.

My 92 Caprice was the first generation of the GM 4l60E tranny and it shifts VERY firm.
The owners manual even has a section in it telling the owner that this transmission is different from past GM trannys and the hard shift is normal.

These are examples of how firm shifts can be achieved by the correct methods.
Just boosting the line pressure, IMHO is NOT the preferred method.
It will just aggravate the weak points of this otherwise very strong transmission and lead to failure.

A tranny cooler, if properly sized and installed in a good location will extend the life of the tranny.