4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Transmission Cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 04:14 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

Default Transmission Cooler?

Ok, so in another thread about shift firmness with a diablo tuner, it was brought to my attention that a tranny cooler is a must have for 2002 gt auto with the shift firmness all the way up. How does a tranny cooler make my tranny more safe and should I not mess with the shift firmness and torque modulation without a shift kit? should i get a shift kit? Thank you everyone. (Newbie for a reason)
Old 05-03-2007, 04:22 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transmission Cooler?

ok. heat is the worst enemy of a transmission more heat = more tranny wear = less life. more firm shifts = higher pressure = more heat a tranny cooler can offset this additional heat if installed and mounted correctly. every automatic should have one, whether they are stock or not. its just a good investment.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

cool, that makes a lot more sense to me, thanks. So how much do these coolers run for, where can i find one, what's a durable company to go with, and can i do it myself?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:24 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

ok. heat is the worst enemy of a transmission more heat = more tranny wear = less life. more firm shifts = higher pressure = more heat a tranny cooler can offset this additional heat if installed and mounted correctly. every automatic should have one, whether they are stock or not. its just a good investment.
Automatic Tranny post of the Month. +1000
Old 05-03-2007, 04:26 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

My preference is B&M SuperCoolers. heres a cheap one for $40:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
The bigger the flow passages or wether or not they have a auto switched fan mounted on them will dictate price.
Id spend a few more bucks and get the 1.5 core

AND.......If it were my car, since I spare no expense,
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku [sm=badbadbad.gif]
Old 05-03-2007, 04:32 PM
gnutts
1st Gear Member

Thanks, a lot cheaper then I thought. Is a trans temp guage a good idea or a waste of money? Where do these coolers mount at? Are these difficult to install or a like 2 hr job?
Old 05-03-2007, 04:37 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Since I am OCD I might even spend more time then that lol. It is a real easy job, but you wanna make sure you do everything right and make sure it doesnt look like a hack job. You'll need to get a good mounting kit with those, I don't believe they come with em

I post alot thinking what I would do, and since I'm moving to Phoenix soon, if I had an auto I would want the gauge to moniter it while I'm sitting in the backed up staging lanes of Firebird on a 90+ night. Thats just me tho.
Old 05-03-2007, 04:41 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Shift kits do not need tranny coolers. Sure a tranny cooler is not a bad idea, even on a stock transmission, but it is not necessary unless you are doing something like a higher stall converter. Shift kit companies always claim that their shift kits will improve performance and the LIFE of the transmission. The faster shifts actually puts less stress on the transmission and have less time to create heat. This is at least what I have heard. I am all for a tranny cooler, and I plan on getting one eventually, I'm just saying your not creating a ton of heat from firming the shifts.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:09 PM
TorchRed04GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

Shift kits do not need tranny coolers. Sure a tranny cooler is not a bad idea, even on a stock transmission, but it is not necessary unless you are doing something like a higher stall converter. Shift kit companies always claim that their shift kits will improve performance and the LIFE of the transmission. The faster shifts actually puts less stress on the transmission and have less time to create heat. This is at least what I have heard. I am all for a tranny cooler, and I plan on getting one eventually, I'm just saying your not creating a ton of heat from firming the shifts.
NOOOOOOO You are wrong. Just get the cooler.
Old 05-03-2007, 06:24 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sstang

if thats the case, a firmer shift = higher pressure but less heat? try squeezing your hands together with as much pressure as you can, then just interlock them normalls as if you were sitting in a meeting and then tell me more pressure = less heat im not ripping you, im just saying that you are incorrect about that. However, you are correct about not listening to companies, shift kits may or may not improve tranny life, but the topic at hand, a transmission cooler will improve it.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler?