4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

SEAFOAM

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 05:04 AM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: SEAFOAM

Good lord, 40k miles is practically new--unless you are having the sort of problems listed by undecided.steve (and by "poor performance" I am sure he meant "****-poor performance") there is no reason to make your poor Mustang suffer through that...[/align][/align]BTW--Steve, I love the enema analogy that's the perfect description of this stuff...[/align]
Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

I would love to go to DC,but it ishard to get off of work right now. If there is anything that you need help with just let me know. How about getting one of those MOD to sticky this so people could have easy acess to the info. I have seen it get asked prettyoften.quote]ORIGINAL: TeddyKGB

rob.d - thanks very much for the thorough explanation! now you don't live anywhere near DC and want to ear a few bucks by doing this to my car for me, do you? [sm=nerd.gif]
[/quote]
Old 05-06-2007, 05:21 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

Rod thats a great write up but you varried from the directions in a couple area's.
You are not suppose to run Seafoam in your crankcase for any amount of milage, you are suppose to let it idle for the amount of time they specify (10 minutes if memory serves me) and then drain the oil imediatly.
You are also suppose to add the seafoam before you add the gas to the tank because it will mix there.

Seafoam will take away the lubrication properties of oil and cause excessive wear on your engine if you run it for any extended period of time.

Infact I dont recomend the crank case cleaner at all. Removing your pan and inspecting things is about as expensive (Pan gasket) and much more visual than dirty oil.

I will however recomend seafoam for the fuel injector cleaner and valve, runner, chamber cleaner. Seafoam is also a solvant so it is NOT a good idea to run it in your gas tank for more than a week. Your rubber seals will suffer.

There are warnings and precautions on the can to inform you of such things. Seafoam is a great product but its not the one time cure all that some make it out to be. I like it enough to use it once or twice a year.

Overall Seafoam rating IMPO:
Crankcase: *
Fuel Tank:***
Vacuum: *****

-Eric-
Old 05-07-2007, 02:48 PM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Neo,
No where on the seafoam can does it specify that you let it stay in your car 5 or 10 min. As for mixing of the seafoam with gas it really does not matter if you put in seafoam before your gas fill up or after. Think about all the stop and go traffic. Seafoam will mix just fine trust me. Please before you post up info make sure it is correct. And if you really did use seafoam then please post your experience. I have a hard time believing that seafoam could damage your fuel system in any way as long as you follow the instructions.Onemore thinglets just post facts here and not hear say.Here is some of the exact same info from the seafoam website: SEA FOAM MOTOR TREATMENT for Gas Engine Applications

100% Pure Petroleum
Use in All Engines in All Seasons
2 Cycle, 4 Cycle, and Diesels
Treats 3 Critical Areas: Gas Tank, Fuel Systems, and Crankcase

[ul][*]Cleans fuel injectors[*]Cleans carburetor jets[*]Cleans carbon[*]Stabilizes fuels[*]Upper cylinder lube[*]Removes moisture in fuel[*]De-icer
Frees sticky lifters
Frees sticky rings
Removes moisture in oil
Cleans P.C.V. systems
Cleans catalytic converter odors
Oxygen sensor safe [/ul]

How Many Mechanics Use SEA FOAM
In Tune-Up of 4 Cycle Gasoline Carbureted or Fuel Injected Engines
Autos, Trucks, and Tractors
[ol]
With engine warm, slowly pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint through carburetor or throttle body throat. (If vehicle is port injected slowly pour SEA FOAM through direct manifold vacuum line that will feed all cylinders, possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line.) This will pull SEA FOAM down on top of the pistons and to the back of the intake valves to dissolve carbon. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. If severe carbon build up is apparent, use more Sea Foam as previously directed. Make sure exhaust is well ventilated when using Sea Foam in these various ways as fumes will be extreme for a short time.
Pour 1/3 to 1/2 pint into oil crank case to clean rings, lifters, dirty parts and remove moisture.
Pour 1/3 to 1 full pint into fuel tank to clean injectors, carburetor jets, fuel lines and remove moisture.
Immediate Results: Smoother idle, increased R.P.M.'s better throttle response and improved performance. See label on can for detailed results for use in each area. [/ol]
FUEL TANK, CARBURETOR, INJECTION and OIL CRANKCASE.
For Peak Performance, Use SEA FOAM Every 2,000 to 5,000 Miles

[ul][*]A 100% pure petroleum product for use in all gasoline and diesel type engines, both 2 and 4 cycle. OXYGEN SENSOR SAFE.[*]Cleans dirty engine parts internally by removing harmful gums, varnish and carbon. WORKS AND PERFORMS INSTANTLY.[*]Removes moisture from oil crankcases and fuel tanks.[*]Stabilizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage.[*]Cure hesitations, stalls, pings and rough idle due to carbon buildup.[*]Helps pass emissions test. EPA Registered. [/ul]
When Used Thru Injection or Carburetor

[*]Cleans carbon build up[*]Cleans intake valves and pistons[*]Gives smoother idle[*]Cleans catalytic converter odors[*]Cures hesitations and pings[*]Restores power and pickup[*]With warm engine running, SLOWLY poor 1/2 pint through carburator, throttle body or direct manifold vacuum line that will feed ALL CYLINDERS. Possible sources are P.C.V. valve or brake booster line. Turn ignition off. Restart engine after 5 minutes. Be sure exhaust is well ventilated. Fumes will be extreme for a short period of time.[*]For use in injector cleaning machines, use 50% SEA FOAM and 50% fuel.[*]Fill diesel filters with SEA FOAM to clean injectors fast. [/ul]
When Added to Crankcase (Oil)

[ol][*]Frees sticky lifters and rings[*]Increases R.P.M.'s vacuum and compression[*]Cleans dirty parts[*]Removes moisture[*]Cleans PCV valve systems
[/ol]
One pint treats 10 quarts of oil (avg. 1 1/2 ounce per quart).

When Added to Fuel Tank
[*]Cleans fuel injectors and carburetor jets[*]Cleans carbon as you drive[*]Lubricates upper cylinders[*]De-ices and removes moisture[*]Diesel full conditioner and anti gel[*]Stabilizes fuel [/ul]
One pint treats 8-25 gallons of fuel (average 1 ounce per gallon).

In Injector Cleaning Machines

Add a 50/50 blend of fuel and SEA FOAM into injector cleaning machine. Run directly through the fuel rails to clean injectors fast. Add SEA FOAM to your fuel tank to clean injectors as you drive.
ORIGINAL: NeoTokyo

Rod thats a great write up but you varried from the directions in a couple area's.
You are not suppose to run Seafoam in your crankcase for any amount of milage, you are suppose to let it idle for the amount of time they specify (10 minutes if memory serves me) and then drain the oil imediatly.
You are also suppose to add the seafoam before you add the gas to the tank because it will mix there.

Seafoam will take away the lubrication properties of oil and cause excessive wear on your engine if you run it for any extended period of time.

Infact I dont recomend the crank case cleaner at all. Removing your pan and inspecting things is about as expensive (Pan gasket) and much more visual than dirty oil.

I will however recomend seafoam for the fuel injector cleaner and valve, runner, chamber cleaner. Seafoam is also a solvant so it is NOT a good idea to run it in your gas tank for more than a week. Your rubber seals will suffer.

There are warnings and precautions on the can to inform you of such things. Seafoam is a great product but its not the one time cure all that some make it out to be. I like it enough to use it once or twice a year.

Overall Seafoam rating IMPO:
Crankcase: *
Fuel Tank:***
Vacuum: *****

-Eric-
Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 PM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

Yea for the people saying you shouldn't run it through your motors unless there is a problem, you guys are wrong. Yeah I admit I would rather not put it in my crankcase unless I was getting an oilchange right after, but putting in the motor is NOT going to hurt your car. Personally I have a supercharged stang and have you ever seen a torn open motor of a supercharged car? Makes you want to use seafoam!
Old 05-07-2007, 03:30 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

Okay, since yet again there's a lot of completely wrong information in this thread, just as with every other Seafoam thread, I'll do what I told you to do before and just re-post my previous post from another thread. I really wish some of you guys wouldn't give information unless you have a clue what you're talking about.

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I tried it in my DD geo, and I can say after doing so I will never ever use it again, and would definatly never ever use it in my mustang.

All it does is make massive clouds of smoke thru your exhuast... which has to be at the very least putting crap all thru the exhaust. Anything that says it can go in the gas, intake, and oil has got to be BS.
"has got to be BS", meaning you don't know, but you think. A lot of people don't have a clue what Seafoam really is or how it works, and we've had the topics a lot, so let me try to explain it all.

Now lets explain why it's not. Gas comes from? Petroleum. Oil comes from? Petroleum. I bet you know what I'm getting at right? Seafoam is.... Yep, Petroleum, just a more pure form, 100% in fact. A more pure and concentrated form of petroleum won't burn as well as gas, however it will be a detergent.

When you stick it in your gas tank, it is diluted enough so that it can clean your lines and injectors, then still be burned up with the rest of the gas.

When you suck it in through your vacuum line, you're spraying it (without it being diluted), straight into the engine and cylinders, however this time it's going through the air (vacuum) passages, not the fuel, cleaning the "other side" of the engine. Again, acting as a strong detergent, you can let this soak on the cylinder walls and everything, then a 10 minutes later or whatever, start up the car and burn it up (again, only petroleum, just like your gas, just too pure to burn up itself), and send it out the exhaust in the form of a cloud of smoke. You have to give it some gas while it clears out because with the seafoam in there it will make everything harder to burn since it's too pure, you need to open the throttle and get more gas in to burn it. You want to make sure to give it long enough to soak, but not too long to dry, or else it's not going to do much. I'd say about 10-15 minutes is just fine.

Finally, again I think you see this one coming, you can put it in the oil because... it's petroleum! Just like your oil. Again, it's diluted so it's not too strong and so you don't lose the lubricating properties of motor oil, however it adds a little detergent into the oil to be splashed around on the final, bottom end of your engine. You're recommended to change the oil about a week later because it will clean crap off the inside of the engine and make your oil dirty in a few days. If you change it too fast, you wont get the full effect, if you wait too long, you'll be running dirty oil.

So as you can see, the concept is simple and makes perfect sense. Now, how well it really works is hard to tell unless you actually pull an engine apart, however for $5, if it helps at all, it's not a bad deal. And if nothing else, it's a fun little smoke show, and can have very few ill side effects on your car.

However, let me cover all my base and mention the few things it COULD cause problems with. If you have a catted pipe, while I tend to believe that it's unlikely to do much without many repeated applications (due to it not being liquid as it goes by, just some gas flowing through), it could break down the material in that cats. Again, although I haven't tested it, I wouldn't expect that to happen without many repeated applications, so I wouldn't really worry about it. The only other thing is that it could gum up your spark plugs, so I'd recommend using it right before changing your plugs. This is just because all that loose carbon is floating around and will stick to the plugs a little. This would be mainly after like a first use or a first use in a long time, if you use it somewhat regularly then I doubt you'll get enough carbon buildup on the plugs to cause any problems. I ran Seafoam for the first time after not thinking and stupidly changing my plugs the day before. I didn't feel like taking them out and cleaning them again, and I've had no problems, and that was after the first use in 78,000 miles, so I think this is mainly a non-issue as well, just wanted to mention it.

So there you have it, for those of you who really want to know Seafoam and how it works, hopefully you'll take the time to read that all. I know it's big but there has been a lot of arguing back and forth on this board, and not much, if any, facts about the product and how and why it works included, so I thought I'd just clear it up. I personally don't think Seafoam is a miracle product. I don't expect my engine to be spotless if I use it from day one, but I think it can help after long periods of use. Honestly, I probably wouldn't use it more than a few times during the lifespan of my car. I think that you could even go as much as 50,000 miles between uses to take care of the build up once there actually starts to be a build up. I think every 3000 miles with your oil would be a waste, but to each his own right?

ORIGINAL: 99 GT vert

were do you want to pour it in at
The little vacuum line on the bottom right in this picture, just below the IAC (not the bigger line plugging into the IAC):

ORIGINAL: havok209

When I tried it. I poured it in the PCV line... but it wouldn't die lol. The more I'd pour into the tube the more steady it would idle. Do you guys just stick the tube in the can or pour the Seafoam in the tube like I was doing?
You can do either way really, just as long as it gets int there. I used a small funnel stuck into the vacuum line above then poured into it, using my finger as a stopper if I needed to until I got the third of the can in that I wanted in.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:37 PM
dajawu
2nd Gear Member

Ohh and my Landlord just used it in his Toyota Pickup truck and it fixed a slight miss he was having as well as rough ideling.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:21 PM
TeddyKGB
1st Gear Member

Perhaps a horribly dumb question but you really only wind up with a bunch of smoke when putting it via a vacumm tube right? Putting a can in your gas won't cause any billowing smoke will it?
Old 05-07-2007, 04:48 PM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TeddyKGB

Perhaps a horribly dumb question but you really only wind up with a bunch of smoke when putting it via a vacumm tube right? Putting a can in your gas won't cause any billowing smoke will it?
No, because as I explained, it's much too diluted. You might get a slight hint of smoke every now and then, but unless you put it in an empty tank, you shouldn't get much smoke.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:08 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I have been using Seafoam since 1999 and it says to drain oil immediatly after running 10 minutes in the crank case.

Now I just called Seafoam and spoke with a rep named "Mike" and he said that use to be seafoams old instructions untill 03/04 and were mainly aimed at quick lube shops.

He said that it doesnt change the viscocity of the oil and can be ran untill the oil is changed at the next 3000 marker or whenever you change it. These use to not be the instructions.

The old instructions also said to put the seafoam in the gas first.

I knew something was off about what you were saying, I just didnt know that my experiance with it was with an older product. So dont preach at me about getting my info right because it was right, just for a couple years ago.

Here is the phone number if you would like to talk to them too. Phone (952) 938-4811

Quick Reply: SEAFOAM