4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
jrite34

Default brake upgrade

Hey fellas, I wanted to upgrade my brakes for performance and looks. What kind of brake system shouldI go with and how much money are we looking at for the upgrade. Im not looking to spend a fortune onbrakes. Im really just interested in biggerrotars andnice looking calipers. Thanks
jrite34 01 true blue GT
Old 05-06-2007, 12:02 AM
bestjudge

Default RE: brake upgrade

Cobra kit comes with rotors, calipers, brake lines..i guess itsbout $400.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:55 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bestjudge

Cobra kit comes with rotors, calipers, brake lines..i guess its bout $400.
Or the Mach kit or the anniversary kit etc.....
They are all the same AFAIK, with the decal or color being the only difference.

A buddy of mine did the upgrade and to be honest, I didn't notice any difference other than looks
for DD.
Maybe for heavy racing there is a difference though.

Personally, a set of decent pads and a Duplicolor Caliper Paint kit is a heck of a lot cheaper.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:25 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

I did the cobra kit all around, DON'T DO THE REAR! It's a pain, and pointless... it uses the same caliper. Do the front though $400, about the cheapest substantial brake upgrade you can do.

Both of these pictures are my car of course. First is the day I swapped the brakes. Second was about a month later... Don't really have any other good pictures of them around.

Old 05-06-2007, 01:32 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Sounds a bit stupid, but do you guys see any problems with a set of Mach calipers that have less than 5k miles on them?.. I kinda already know the answer, but I want some opinions.

EDIT: spelling
Old 05-06-2007, 01:34 AM
ShadowDrake
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dsg04gt

Sounds a bit stupid, but do you guys see any problems with a set of Mach calipers that have less than 5k miles on them?.. I kinda already know the answer, but I want some opinions.

No, unless they've been driven extremely hard. These calipers do bend under pressure (it's pretty wild seeing them flex when someone steps on the pedal so you can bleed them), which is normal... it's very likely they're fine.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:44 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ShadowDrake

No, unless they've been driven extremely hard. These calipers do bend under pressure (it's pretty wild seeing them flex when someone steps on the pedal so you can bleed them), which is normal... it's very likely they're fine.
Alrighty good lol I thought so, I just take some peace of mind when someone agrees with me. These might be going on tomorrow morning with the Powerslot Rotors and Hawk Pads. ( I've had everything for a month now, but my mechanic and I can't seem to find time to meet lol)

Thanks
Old 05-06-2007, 01:47 AM
dsg04gt
3rd Gear Member

Oh hey one more thing.. I heard you have to re-grease something I think, but theres not much that comes to mind.. any ideas? Sorry to original, didn't mean to hi-jack.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:58 AM
bestjudge

Oh hey one more thing.. I heard you have to re-grease something I think, but theres not much that comes to mind.. any ideas? Sorry to original, didn't mean to hi-jack.
back plates on brake pads maybe.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

You should lube the flat surface that the pads sit on.

Quick Reply: brake upgrade