4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Gear break-in is over (pics of install, link to short vid of driving)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 01:10 AM
^iLLuSiOn^
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gear break-in is over (pics of install, link to short vid of driving)

lol not to long cause its not that much, smelt for like 2 weeks in my streets when i changed the gear oil in my car last and it spilled a little, clean it off with brake cleaner, probably will take it right away
Old 05-07-2007, 02:05 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear break-in is over (pics of install, link to short vid of driving)

sticky this!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:37 AM
domesticlover
2nd Gear Member

it took me 3 times to get the backlash right to. so i feel for ya
Old 05-07-2007, 03:00 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ^iLLuSiOn^

lol not to long cause its not that much, smelt for like 2 weeks in my streets when i changed the gear oil in my car last and it spilled a little, clean it off with brake cleaner, probably will take it right away
I was thinking I'd have to do that. Guess I have to find the canister that had some left in it.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:52 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: domesticlover

it took me 3 times to get the backlash right to. so i feel for ya
Yeah, but I was expecting it to take about three tries to get it right. We were pretty close with the second one, but I knew I would be able to get it better if I tried one more time.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:29 PM
videoassault
2nd Gear Member

Hey there i just installed my 3.73's gears this weekend well i didnt a Profesinal did and he went 2.40 shim on the left and 3.10 on the right and had a .012 backlash now im still hearing a little whine or whistle from the rearend anyone think i should worry or are the just wearing in still ????
Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

If I were you, I would take it back just to be safe. There should be no whine at all, I know I had/have none.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:58 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mvr

sticky this!
+1

But add a disclaimer that this is NOT for the faint of heart and should not even be attempted without the correct tools.
I'm an engineer (albeit electrical), have done some minor machine shop work and even *I* am afraid to try this myself.
Why?
Because just like I know the tricks of my trade, the people who do this all day long know the tricks of their trade.

An EXCELLENT job with the pics and write up.

Make this one a sticky!!

P.S. That gear oil stinks to high heaven!
I got some on an old shirt of mine when I changed the diff. fluid on my stang and I had to trash the shirt.

Old 05-07-2007, 11:04 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

This was actually the first time I ever attempted a gear install, and I knew more going in than my buddy did. I just prepared adequately, read a bunch of different instructions, made sure I understood everything, then set aside enough time to do it right. Was actually pretty easy.
And yeah, I threw away the shirt I did the work in. It stunk to high heaven by the time we were done. Gear oil spilled right on it when we were filling the diff. at the end. The new stuff doesn't smell much better than the used stuff.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:28 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

So is 1st gear useless or what? Some people complain about 1st beign useless with 4.10s. 4.30s are tempting, theres not a huge difference between the two.

Quick Reply: Gear break-in is over (pics of install, link to short vid of driving)