4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need help, losing coolant and my vert is parked one the nicest day of the year

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 02:57 PM
JR1979

Default Need help, losing coolant and my vert is parked one the nicest day of the year

On the passenger side of the firewall there is a short piece, maybe 1/2" of hose sticking out just behind the head. I heard it dripping on the exhaust a week or so ago and summized it was the AC runoff since it stopped when I turned the defroster off. Today I went home for lunch and when I got there coolant was pouring out of it, the car wasn't running hot, but I could smell it when I got about 1/2 mile from home. Anyone know what this hose is? Am I missing a return line or something? I guess I am stuck driving my new truck for now, just leased a 2007 Tundra with the 5.7, 381hp/401Tq motor, but I was hoping to keep the miles off it while it's nice out.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:05 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help, losing coolant and my vert is parked one the nicest day of the year

it sounds like the coolant line that runs to the heads
Old 05-08-2007, 03:06 PM
GreyStang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need help, losing coolant and my vert is parked one the nicest day of the year

Heater hose?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:20 PM
JR1979

Coolant line to the heads or heater hose, you think the hose is missing entirely? It looks like maybe a hose is supposed to be clamped onto what is sticking out. I didn't see any place on the head that looked like it was supposed to have a hose connected? It just started really leaking today, before it would drip a dozen times or so when I parked and then stop, today it was a steady stream. Something to do with the heater would make sense because when I looked before when I turned on the fan it blew what was left of the dripping out, so obvisouly the fan was putting some air through there.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:24 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

If I recall... there is supposed to be a little hose for the a/c compressor drip.

you might have a busted heater core. so hard to diagnose over the internet...
Old 05-08-2007, 03:26 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

your thermo probably opened up to let coolant run. its gotta be a coolant line to ur heads
Old 05-08-2007, 03:36 PM
JR1979

Just talking to a guy a work, wouldn'tany coolant lines to the heads be contained all under the hood? What reason would there be to run coolant into the passenger compartment (it's coming from the firewall) other than for the heater? Looks like there should be a hosed attached to it but there are no loose hoses or rememnants of hoses around it, that's why I thought AC runoff before. I was hoping someone would say "Oh, that happened to me and this is what it was", or "There is supposed to be a hose there running to xyz stupid" or something like that. I realize it will be tough to really tell from an internet description of the problem but I do appreciate all the ideas, any easy way to tell if it's the heater core?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

if it's the heater core leaking, I would assume that it would make the sweet coolant smell worse when you actually turned on the heater.

are you saying it only drips when the a/c has been used, or that it drips all the time now?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:55 PM
JR1979

Before it dripped when the defrost was one, but the A/C runs with defrost to dry out the air, right? Maybe not? Anyway, today when I parked it was just pouring out, it really looks like a hose should be connected to the outlet on the firewall. If the heater core was bad wouldn't there be moisture inside the car? I can only smell it faintly inside the car when driving and I think that is because it drips right on the manifold and burns off. Before it was slow enough so even when parked it all burned off on the manifold but today it left a very sizeable puddle in the drive, which for you pet lovers I did hose off before heading back to work and parked the car on the lawn where the neighbors cat never really goes.
Old 05-08-2007, 04:06 PM
Mark99GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JR1979

Before it dripped when the defrost was one, but the A/C runs with defrost to dry out the air, right? Maybe not? Anyway, today when I parked it was just pouring out, it really looks like a hose should be connected to the outlet on the firewall. If the heater core was bad wouldn't there be moisture inside the car? I can only smell it faintly inside the car when driving and I think that is because it drips right on the manifold and burns off. Before it was slow enough so even when parked it all burned off on the manifold but today it left a very sizeable puddle in the drive, which for you pet lovers I did hose off before heading back to work and parked the car on the lawn where the neighbors cat never really goes.
There is supposed to be a hose there, actually two hoses. Are you missing one?

Quick Reply: Need help, losing coolant and my vert is parked one the nicest day of the year