4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Should I get LT Headers and an H-Pipe now or sould I wait and get a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 08:52 AM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Default Should I get LT Headers and an H-Pipe now or sould I wait and get a turbo?

I have about $2000 to spend and I was going to get LT's and an H-pipe but some of my friends are saying that the car will be way too loud and then suggested, jokingly, that I should get a turbo. They are babies in my opinion, but they did get me thinking that I could wait until next summer and get a trubo for my car. Maybe I should do the exhaust now and the turbo later, even though the turbo will rework the whole exhaust. So I decided to do a poll to see what you guys think. Will the car be too loud with LT headers and an H-pipe?
Old 05-09-2007, 09:11 AM
1BAD3V
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Should I get LT Headers and an H-Pipe now or sould I wait and get a turbo?

Mustangs are supposed to be loud, but what makes them think it would be too loud? What kind of catback do you have? And if you do plan on turbo, dont waste the $700 for long tubes, plus another $500 for installation when your just gonna have to get rid of them next year if you plan on going the turbo route. $2000, you might aswell save up another grand or so, maybe not that and get either a used S/C or a new one.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:37 PM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Should I get LT Headers and an H-Pipe now or sould I wait and get a turbo?

I can do the installation myself. Right now I have a Magnaflow Cat back, hower I'm working with a good company and they might cut me a deal on there new catback system. Then what would you recommend I do for $2000. I dont want a supercharger, I really want to go the turbo route, however my reasoning is for a turbo over a S/C is just preference.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:41 PM
nanaki
Retired MF Moderator

generally that means you want it just for the sheer show off factor and attention the blow-off valve gets you.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:55 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

If you can afford to do a turbo setup I don't see you having much concern with wasting money on headers...
Old 05-09-2007, 04:07 PM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

I say get your exhaust finished right now and save for a STS rear mount turbo system and keep your LT's and X-pipe with the setup, it will be simply badass

You see with the STS rear TT setup you actually gain more power over a conventional turbo setup because intake temps are lower by more than 50 degree's before they even get to the intercooler. If your wondering about psi drop over all the plumbing then dont worry, its only .5psi drop. the 50 degree cooler temps more than make up for it and the fact that you can keep the exhaust you just dumped a ton of money into is a great aspect about it too.

The turbo's last way longer because they arent being broiled everytime you drive your car and your engine doesnt suffer from the heat soak either.

So Visit http://www.ststurbo.com/and give them a call, tell them what you have and what you want and they will hook you up. Btw the TT setup is the best.

Here are some movies of the TT 05.
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/Mustang/smustlaunch.mpg
http://oi.b5z.net/i/u/1473169/i/Mustang/smustdyno.mpg
Old 05-09-2007, 04:37 PM
JamesDean
2nd Gear Member

I have a 2003 Mustang GT I dont see a turbo system by that company for my year. I have heard of rear mount turbo's but I dont really understand how they work, or where it would be monuted.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:40 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

They mount right by the rear wheels.

STS FTL, I have been nothing but disapointed with the results I have seen.

You do realise that any non custom turbo setup (that is to say any turbo "kit") is going to run 6500+ bucks right?
Old 05-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Nitti00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JamesDean

I have about $2000 to spend and I was going to get LT's and an H-pipe but some of my friends are saying that the car will be way too loud and then suggested, jokingly, that I should get a turbo. They are babies in my opinion, but they did get me thinking that I could wait until next summer and get a trubo for my car. Maybe I should do the exhaust now and the turbo later, even though the turbo will rework the whole exhaust. So I decided to do a poll to see what you guys think. Will the car be too loud with LT headers and an H-pipe?
I have full exhaust and my car isn't that loud. It actually got quieter at idle when I put my LTs in. Turbo kits for Mustangs are expensive. I suggest saving for a little longer and buy a supercharger for around 3500. You can do the H pipe now. You can get one from www.AmericanMuscle.com for $160 then just get some mufflers welded in the stock location and you are set. My H pipe and mufflers cost me a total of 360 installed.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:47 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

why pay the extra money for a tubro when your limited either way to only 450rwhp until you forge the bottom end. no sense in paying 6000+ for something that 4000 will get you. i mean its your money but im gonna say its a waste. get the full exhaust now then save up for a s/c later and save a few thousand bucks.

Quick Reply: Should I get LT Headers and an H-Pipe now or sould I wait and get a turbo?