MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   UDP Help (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/287735-udp-help.html)

2002GTAUTOVERT 05-10-2007 06:13 PM

UDP Help

i know that they help the engine rev a little better and reduce parasitic loss. but with the lower rpms the pulleys are spinning at, wont this cause overheating or a dead battery? or is that bullsh*t

2002GTAUTOVERT 05-10-2007 06:27 PM

RE: UDP Help

nobody with udp's can tell me if their car has overheated?? or if these "rumors" are bs

newb2000GT 05-10-2007 06:30 PM

I say BS but I only had mine on for a month before getting a blower.

If I were N/A I'd still have my Steeda UDP's on. A/C worked fine and all accessories worked fine (no aftermarket stereo though). Never came close to overheating...

red2k1gt 05-10-2007 06:33 PM

complete BS...they wont cause overheating, dead batteries or anything like that.

02 Ninja 05-10-2007 06:48 PM

ORIGINAL: red2k1gt

complete BS...they wont cause overheating, dead batteries or anything like that.
+1....I've had mine for about 2 months and no problems here. I'm in TX and it gets hot and the a/c blows just like it did off the lot.

GolfmanSpeck 05-10-2007 07:26 PM

also, I have no problems with mine. however, don't get the gay piggy-back style. I have those and they look like crap. They work the same but it sucks looking down and there is a pulley that is not being used. Looks like somthing is missing

2002GTAUTOVERT 05-10-2007 07:58 PM

anyone know what they actually gained? doubt it was the advertised 12 hp

yourmom6990 05-10-2007 08:04 PM

ive had my bbk pullies on for a very long time.
i've hadmy mach1000 system on, with the a/c on for a long period of time, and the temp gauge never moved from where it was. never had a problem w/ battery either. i call BS on that rumor.

BuzzCut 05-11-2007 01:54 AM

I have never had a problem with my Steeda's

TheMustangLoveR 05-11-2007 02:04 AM

Well boys, I for one can tell you based on experience that they DO cause dead batteries, but in one particular situation: The pulleys do not spin the alternator fast enough AT IDLE, so if your car is running (read: idling) and you're blasting the stereo, you are draining that battery. I sat in a gas station a few weeks ago talking on the phone for a really long time with my car idling and all of a sudden I noticed all my interior lights starting dimming a lot and my ABS light turned on, etc....basically random crap. Of course I was like WTF? But, the proof followed when I blipped the throttle and everything returned to normal.

Anyway, the point is: Don't make a hobby out of leaving your car idling forever and you should have no batter woes.

gt96stang 05-11-2007 02:08 AM

No battery problem with my aftermarket system and steeda UDP's... and my a/c still blows cold..

Smooth_J 05-11-2007 02:16 AM

Any noticable difference with the UDPs installed?

newb2000GT 05-11-2007 02:23 AM

ORIGINAL: Smooth_J

Any noticable difference with the UDPs installed?
Yes, revs quicker and get better mileage. That is noticeable.

With my UDP's, midpipe and catback I was noticeably faster than stock GT's.

Smooth_J 05-11-2007 02:42 AM

ORIGINAL: newb2000GT

Yes, revs quicker and get better mileage. That is noticeable.

With my UDP's, midpipe and catback I was noticeably faster than stock GT's.
I have the mod bug again - grr.... I want to pick them up now...

BuzzCut 05-11-2007 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: TheMustangLoveR

Well boys, I for one can tell you based on experience that they DO cause dead batteries, but in one particular situation: The pulleys do not spin the alternator fast enough AT IDLE, so if your car is running (read: idling) and you're blasting the stereo, you are draining that battery. I sat in a gas station a few weeks ago talking on the phone for a really long time with my car idling and all of a sudden I noticed all my interior lights starting dimming a lot and my ABS light turned on, etc....basically random crap. Of course I was like WTF? But, the proof followed when I blipped the throttle and everything returned to normal.

Anyway, the point is: Don't make a hobby out of leaving your car idling forever and you should have no batter woes.
And there you have it, an expert. Dude, you can't make that claim when others in this thread contradict what you say based on their experience. But in that you go on and make yourself look ignorant. While you may have had this happen it could be because of; nightime lights on, alternator weak, battery weak the list goes on and on... Whatever.

99GTvert 05-11-2007 01:13 PM

so...the general assumption is that they don't cause the battery to die, with the exception for long idling periods? I have a small sound system (small powered sub) and the HID lights (they have a connection to the positive on the battery) so I was a little drawn back on buying a set of UDPs but after reading this thread, am I good to go? The only way I'm idling long is in a traffic jam.

BuzzCut 05-11-2007 02:09 PM

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

so...the general assumption is that they don't cause the battery to die, with the exception for long idling periods? I have a small sound system (small powered sub) and the HID lights (they have a connection to the positive on the battery) so I was a little drawn back on buying a set of UDPs but after reading this thread, am I good to go? The only way I'm idling long is in a traffic jam.
The choice is yours. I had UDP's on my Tbird for 4 years, no trouble. I removed them and put them on my mustang and have had zero trouble. Like others in this thread I haven't experienced any of the "drama" others put forth and I don't expect any. I am sure that you will enjoy them as well.

red2k1gt 05-11-2007 02:12 PM

ORIGINAL: 99GTvert

I had a 2000W sound system at one time with my steeda UDP's and never had a problem. Dont fear the pullies [8D]

99GTvert 05-11-2007 02:12 PM

Hell yes. Can't wait for the 7 mpg I will gain per full tank of gas!!!

Oooohh yeah, steeda FTW :D

99GTvert 05-11-2007 02:23 PM

MO NAKED HOES!!!! [8D]

right. Will be installing them hopefully at the track for before and after performances...

red2k1gt 05-11-2007 02:34 PM

I dynoed 7 rwhp after i put mine on and noticed quicker revving and better gas mileage (when I stay off it). Good luck with the install...it was a pain for me with just simple hand tools.