4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HELP DRIVING STICK

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:44 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

Default HELP DRIVING STICK

just started like a week ago. personally i think i do ok but i feel so nervous all the time. dont stall it muchbut im afraid of riding the clutch in first and feel as though through gears like 1-2 its a little more rough than id like. i know its a matter of time until i get it but im sure all you out there know pretty damn well how to drive stick. just thought if you had any suggestions that would help. thanks
Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Default RE: HELP DRIVING STICK

Practice, practice, practice!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

it all takes time and practice. when i first got my 98, i was literally driving it all day every day. it all will come to you. if you already know the basic concept, just keep practicing, youll get better
Old 05-11-2007, 01:49 AM
PWORLDSTANG
4th Gear Member

Also, the hardest thing for me to get used to was letting off the clutch easy from a stop. I would let out the clutch too fast and stall, or just buck. So just try to remember to let off the clutch easy. After a while you'll get a good feel for it and get used to it.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

yah im actually best at taking off. it feels like im rough between gears. i dont wanna granny shift but i do want it smooth. i guess it will come i just wish i wasnt learning on such a nice car. i feel like im going to beat the shyt out of this thing.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:51 AM
dyefreak315

kind of like a woman

just gotta get used to it, work it some, practice, and soon youll be gettin your mustang off the line easy!

haha.

sorry I had to. ;-)
Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 AM
HamMach1
5th Gear Member

Haha aw man dude I was in the SAME boat as you're in now 4-5 months ago. I learned how to drive manual on this car. I hated it hated it hated it at first because of how insecure I was towards it. But after a couple weeks I grew confident and though I was still rough, I knew more of what I was doing and the feelings were getting there. It just takes time dude. YOu'll come to learn what feels right and what doesn't. I ride the clutch in 1st a bit too still so dont feel bad!! You'll get better pretty damn fast and you'll glad you never went with an auto!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:53 AM
96GTMustangCT
2nd Gear Member

yah i just hope im not hurtin her practicing on it ya know. just feel like sometimes the tranny is going to drop right out when im shifting from gear to gear, not used to the noises from a manual transmission and not used to the un-smooth shift yet. thats the biggest thing its just so frustrating
Old 05-11-2007, 01:54 AM
darcnytemare
2nd Gear Member

yea like everyone else said....PRACTICE. take that sucka on the highway and practice running through the gears and down shifting and upshifting like a ****.

O and by the way PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Rev match if you're downshifting. I see so many "kids"(no pun intended) downshift and drop the clutch. When you downshift rev the car real quick and then let off the clutch. That way the car doesnt bog and you dont destory anything.
Old 05-11-2007, 01:55 AM
Smooth_J
4th Gear Member

I took my lessons from a friend - granted it was short and I don't drive stick now - but it gave me a few tips to hold on to. One of which, do not look at the rpm gage. I know it sounds weird, but thats what was screwing me up. Hear/feel the clutch and the engine - "become one with your car" - lol.

In the end all it takes is a lot of practice and time. Then it will be like driving a bike

Quick Reply: HELP DRIVING STICK