4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

"New" tranny is starting to act funny...

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

Default "New" tranny is starting to act funny...

So i just got back from a little midnight cruise in which i beat a cobalt ss supercharged. [8D] Anywho, after the race i decided to launch again just for the hell of it. So i did. For some reason, when im at WOT, right before the car should shift, its starts jerking and "hiccupping" starting at about 4000 rpms, then finally shifts at about 5000. If i let off the throttle just a little bit, it stops jerking and shifts fine.

Any idea whats goin on? This is supposedly a new tranny.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:36 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

Default RE: "New" tranny is starting to act funny...

so, at WOT it shifts at only 5 grand? mine will go slightly past redline 5700 i think
Old 05-11-2007, 02:39 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Could this be a fuel or spark problem thats just coincidental to the fact you just put a new trans. in? Might want to get a tuner and check where they set the shift points at when they put it in.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:42 AM
NeoTokyo
6th Gear Member

This is a completly different car but my wifes 93' 300ZX shifts at 6500rpms

There are lots of things that it might be, ultimatly the right way to check it out is to take it to the dealership.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:47 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SVTBill

so, at WOT it shifts at only 5 grand? mine will go slightly past redline 5700 i think
Yeah, at about 5000 it stops jerking and finally shifts. Used to shift at about 5700, like urs. I dunno if its a fuel issue or spark plug. Plugs were changed two weeks ago, and i didnt have any problems with em, or with goin WOT (i raced a couple times since the plugs). I dunno about the fuel tho? I plan to change the fuel filter soon, if that helps at all?

The tranny itself has only 2000 miles on it. When i got the car the tranny got ****ed up, and the dealer took it back and put a new one in. I definitely felt a difference, cause it shifted nice and hard (they used an aftermarket tq converter).

Old 05-11-2007, 02:50 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GStam66

I definitely felt a difference, cause it shifted nice and hard (they used an aftermarket tq converter).

Does this car have an aftermarket external transmission cooler? If not, firm shifts and a aftermarket stall will fry a auto trans plenty quick with massive heat build up.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:58 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

ORIGINAL: GStam66

I definitely felt a difference, cause it shifted nice and hard (they used an aftermarket tq converter).

Does this car have an aftermarket external transmission cooler? If not, firm shifts and a aftermarket stall will fry a auto trans plenty quick with massive heat build up.
No, no tranny cooler. [&:]
Old 05-11-2007, 03:00 AM
GStam66
4th Gear Member

I guess ill check the tranny fluid to see if its ****ty? [&:] If its darker, then thats a sign of it overheatin, right?
Old 05-11-2007, 03:02 AM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

What type of "aftermarket torque converter"? Is it higher stall? 2800-3000+? If so, do your self a favor man and get a tranny cooler ASAP, 95%+ of automatic transmission failures are due to heat. If thoses bone heads put a high stall converter in your car and didnt put a tranny cooler on it and it IS fried, then I would be jumping all over their *** ready to raise some serious hell.

Atleast: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

FTW: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku
Old 05-11-2007, 03:02 AM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

leaky injectors? i dont know

if it was your fuel filter it would be trouble at idle, not WOT but it sounds like a fuel delivery problem to me

just a guess

Quick Reply: "New" tranny is starting to act funny...