4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

next upgrade for the cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 12:29 PM
96_cobra_08

Default next upgrade for the cobra?

hey, so ive got a 96 cobra with 95,xxx miles. Itis pretty much stock except for the off road h-pipe and flows.Im considering a couple opttions right now.

Im looking at getting an intercooled vortech system that rated to give 484,420 on a stock motor. It does this inbetween 8-11 psi.

I am also looking at bying a bare block or even a short block and building that.

Now my questions
-Will the vortech kit blow my stock motor sense it is 11 years old?
-Would i be better off building block now, and just waiting to sc a bit later?

Any suggestions/ iput would be great.

thanks

jon
Old 05-11-2007, 01:27 PM
4.6BLKGT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: next upgrade for the cobra?

supercharge it, you shouldn't have trouble blowing up ur motor, but **** happens, cobra blocks were made for big power
Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

a s/c should not blow your motor...seeing as how you have as many miles as you do, i wouldnt go over the 8 psi pulley they offer, 10 should be fine but thats just me. but in all honesty if your goin with a blown setup, dont build the motor just yet....because your goin to be driving around on low compression, blower cams and no power....if you get the blower now, you can keep the boost down, until you get the internals forged and then you can really begin to play.

go with the blower now
Old 05-11-2007, 01:41 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

id get a new 4.6 4v and build it. that way you start from scratch. honestly id do suspension work or throw some 3.73's in
Old 05-11-2007, 01:59 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

how often are you really going to use the supercharger? you may end up spending over $6,000 (vortech kit w/aftercooler, install, tune, injectors) for it and really only use it a few times a month when you want that extra power.

I would say get 4.10 gears installed, (no more questions about gears. get 4.10's), and install a Zex Wet nitrous kit when you want to play. your looking at under $1000 for the same play power.

Just my 2 cents, because thats what i'm doing to my 1996 Cobra. $6,000 for a supercharger when i'm not using it all the time is dumb. The 4.10's alone will make you feel like you have a superchager.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:11 PM
moot09
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wick001

how often are you really going to use the supercharger? you may end up spending over $6,000 (vortech kit w/aftercooler, install, tune, injectors) for it and really only use it a few times a month when you want that extra power.

I would say get 4.10 gears installed, (no more questions about gears. get 4.10's), and install a Zex Wet nitrous kit when you want to play. your looking at under $1000 for the same play power.

Just my 2 cents, because thats what i'm doing to my 1996 Cobra. $6,000 for a supercharger when i'm not using it all the time is dumb. The 4.10's alone will make you feel like you have a superchager.
haha ilike the way you think. makes sense tho. with the s/c youd use it maybe a few times a month if you go to the track. and have to tune it also im guessing. with gears its all right there for you when you want it
Old 05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

are you serious dude...have you ever driven a blown car...its feaking addicting. once you hit boost that first time your sold. 4:10s are great and all but they wont add half the pull that a blower adds. just to make sure i understand, your gonna tell this guy not to get a 4000 blower that is gonna make serious power, but instead to get gears and nitrous that you will have to refill once the bottle is gone, plus with the nitrous you have a tune???? what are you smoking
Old 05-11-2007, 02:31 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

Think about it. Yeah its nice to be able to have a supercharger on your car, impress your friends, have all that extra power all the time when you want it, you get bragging rights, and they are just cool.

I mean hey, if you have the money by all means, do it. I'm just trying to give you other ideas, so you can save money and buy your girl something nice, or go on a cruise.

Gears + Nitrous will put a very Very large smile on your face. And you know what else will? The 5k you just saved for the same thing.

P.S. Yes JJ03MUSTANGGT,I have drivenand ownedsupercharged mustangs and trans am's. And gears + nitrous is a great alternative to someone who wants to have fun, while not breaking the bank.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:44 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

but he asked about s/cing his cobra, and the effects..not whats a good alternative. i say s/c and be happy. nitrous is great, but its nice knowing i dont have to leave the house wondering if my bottle is full or not. and also its not 6000 for a vortech. i got mines for 4200 installed, tuned and driving home, if i had the time, i coulda saved about 600 bucks and did the install myself, and got it tuned for $200. gears are great and nitrous is cool too. but nitrous imo is more track affiliated. a blower is a blower and nothing can replace that.

Think about it. Yeah its nice to be able to have a supercharger on your car, impress your friends, have all that extra power all the time when you want it, you get bragging rights, and they are just cool.

I mean hey, if you have the money by all means, do it. I'm just trying to give you other ideas, so you can save money and buy your girl something nice, or go on a cruise.

Gears + Nitrous will put a very Very large smile on your face. And you know what else will? The 5k you just saved for the same thing.

P.S. Yes JJ03MUSTANGGT,I have drivenand ownedsupercharged mustangs and trans am's. And gears + nitrous is a great alternative to someone who wants to have fun, while not breaking the bank.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Wick001
3rd Gear Member

He also asked for other suggestions. READ.

In response to the guy who started the thread. No, a supercharger will not blow your motor, provided that it’s in good mechanical condition and you don’t put an aggressive tune on it.

It basically comes down to how much you want to spend on your car man. If you want the power all the time, get the supercharger. If you just want to have fun once in a while, get the gears + nitrous.

Quick Reply: next upgrade for the cobra?