4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

LET IT SNOW???

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:00 PM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

Default LET IT SNOW???

ok so ive done a little searching and a have a few questions that need to be answered. i need an intercooler bad. i looked into the vortech aftercooler and the paxton a/a. i also did a little research on a couple diy kits, but im not a big fan of those. i came across a few meth kits, snow and mr freeze. anyone have any experience with either??? if so what kinda gains did you see. how much was the total cost, and is it 100% necessary to have a tune.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:10 PM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: LET IT SNOW???

We just did a DIY kit on my buddies gt .. he's got a s trim .. did a treadstone intercooler w/ ebay piping etc . it works great ... we did weld the piping just to be on the safe side .. but it looks great ...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:21 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

ORIGINAL: JJ03MustangGT

ok so ive done a little searching and a have a few questions that need to be answered. i need an intercooler bad. i looked into the vortech aftercooler and the paxton a/a, and they all seem to be a bit overpriced. i also did a little research on a couple diy kits, but im not a big fan of those. i came across a few meth kits, snow and mr freeze. anyone have any experience with either??? if so what kinda gains did you see. how much was the total cost, and is it 100% necessary to have a tune.
Very pleased with my Snow meth kit. I'm going to use it on my new shortblock setup too!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

do you have before and after numbers??
ORIGINAL: lizzyfan

ok so ive done a little searching and a have a few questions that need to be answered. i need an intercooler bad. i looked into the vortech aftercooler and the paxton a/a, and they all seem to be a bit overpriced. i also did a little research on a couple diy kits, but im not a big fan of those. i came across a few meth kits, snow and mr freeze. anyone have any experience with either??? if so what kinda gains did you see. how much was the total cost, and is it 100% necessary to have a tune.
Very pleased with my Snow meth kit. I'm going to use it on my new shortblock setup too!
Old 05-12-2007, 01:59 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

how much total was it and what kinda gains did he see?
ORIGINAL: Mez

We just did a DIY kit on my buddies gt .. he's got a s trim .. did a treadstone intercooler w/ ebay piping etc . it works great ... we did weld the piping just to be on the safe side .. but it looks great ...
Old 05-12-2007, 02:10 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

i believe Nanaki got the snow performance meth kit and he went from i believe 360 to 410, so thats an awesome gain
Old 05-12-2007, 02:18 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

The DIY isn't that bad, just takes some time and you have to think it all out before you get started.

When I do mine I am going to take close notes, if it turns out really smooth I might even try to put some sort of kit together. It just can't be that hard, its just pipping and brackets.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:26 AM
JJ03MustangGT
5th Gear Member

yea they have a sticky on it in the pipes boost juice section, i read it and it was pretty cool. they used the treadstone intercooler (a/a) and custom piping. said they picked up like 40 or so rwhp. i want an intercooler, but if the meth injection does the exact same thing, then why not. save some money and accomplish the same thing. i guess im just nervous that if i lost the methanol that my powerplant goes BOOM. and i cant have that.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 AM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

I should have taken pics .. but I'm lazy haha .. anyway .. its not that hard.. and I think we did it alot cleaner than alot of these posts up here .. I'm very picky about work I do etc .. we are about to do another 03 vert in a few weeks .. so maybe I'll take pics and video ... and do a write up ..the only thing I didn't mess with was welding the aluminum piping .. its so delicate .. and I'm by far not a master welder .. .. ( not to mention if you get the upgraded couplers they will be fine .. my friend is a worrier so it was welded to make sure .. )but in the end the ebay piping set and treadstone intercooler fit up great and works great .. I don't have the new dyno numbers but whenI can get them I'll be sure to let yall see...
Old 05-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Davojan59
4th Gear Member

yea they have a sticky on it in the pipes boost juice section, i read it and it was pretty cool. they used the treadstone intercooler (a/a) and custom piping. said they picked up like 40 or so rwhp. i want an intercooler, but if the meth injection does the exact same thing, then why not. save some money and accomplish the same thing. i guess im just nervous that if i lost the methanol that my powerplant goes BOOM. and i cant have that.

thats why im also sketchy about those kits. I mean they do what theyre supposed to do very very well (probly better than an IC) but u always have to make sure u got enough fluid in the tank.

Quick Reply: LET IT SNOW???