4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Vibration from undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:09 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

Default Vibration from undercarriage

I've only noticed it since I got my gears installed. Two or three times it has been pretty loud for 1-2 seconds, then goes away. Lately I have been listening VERY closely and I can just barely make out the sound of a vibration over the sound of my exhaust.

My first thought, when I first heard it when it was loud, was that something in the exhaust had got loose and was rattling. Now I'm thinking it is probably the driveshaft slightly out of balance.

What does an off balanced driveshaft sound/feel like? I don't feel any vibrations or anything, just hear it. Again, this was only noticed after my gears, and it is still not a real problem.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:37 PM
pengintamer
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Vibration from undercarriage

id have to say the easiest thing to check is the u joint angle. here's some stuff i pulled up:
High angles combined with high RPM is the worst combination, resulting in reduced u-joint life. Too large and unequal u-joint angles can cause vibrations and contribute to u-joint, transmission and differential problems. The improper u-joint angles must be corrected. Ideally, the operating angles on each end of the driveshaft should be equal to or within 1 degree of each other, have a 3 degree maximum operating angle and have at least 1/2 of a degree continuous operating angle.
Here's the web page: http://www.drivetrain.com/driveline_angle_problem.html
Old 05-15-2007, 12:32 AM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pengintamer

id have to say the easiest thing to check is the u joint angle. here's some stuff i pulled up:
Snip----
Here's the web page: http://www.drivetrain.com/driveline_angle_problem.html
That's a great link!
Steve
Old 05-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Quicktime_GT
5th Gear Member

Mine has had a small vibration at about 90 mph every since I put my 4.10s in.. I think its the driveshaft. try taking the weight off the rear end and see if that helps.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:15 AM
Topdog922
1st Gear Member

when u put the gears in did u make sure to check the back lash that could cause problems. the rear end has a vibration damper so u might not feel it but it might be there.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:52 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Topdog922

when u put the gears in did u make sure to check the back lash that could cause problems. the rear end has a vibration damper so u might not feel it but it might be there.
I didn't put the gears in myself, but it was done by a VERY trust worthy and highly recommended speed shop owner.

It could be the U joints I suppose. I'll look into it.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:55 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

I had a bent yoke, which is basically the same thing as a driveshaft being out of balance.

The car would simply vibrate harder and harder the faster you went. I didn't know wtf it was and went racing with it, was scary at 100 MPH

If the d/s was out of balance it would not come and go, and trust me you would notice it right away unless it was just barely messed up.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:28 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

I had a bent yoke, which is basically the same thing as a driveshaft being out of balance.

The car would simply vibrate harder and harder the faster you went. I didn't know wtf it was and went racing with it, was scary at 100 MPH

If the d/s was out of balance it would not come and go, and trust me you would notice it right away unless it was just barely messed up.
I don't know if the noise is always there and I just can't hear it over my exhaust, or if it does come and go. It is still possible that it is the exhaust. And I don't believe it effected my driving/handling at all.

It'd be so nice to have a lift at my house
Old 05-15-2007, 08:26 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: BleedinBlue

I don't know if the noise is always there and I just can't hear it over my exhaust, or if it does come and go. It is still possible that it is the exhaust. And I don't believe it effected my driving/handling at all.

It'd be so nice to have a lift at my house
No joke man.

Unless its just really really really just barely out of balance your going to notice it. My entire car was shaking like crazy.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:39 AM
BleedinBlue
5th Gear Member

No joke man.

Unless its just really really really just barely out of balance your going to notice it. My entire car was shaking like crazy.
Probably not the driveshaft then. I'm not too worried about it anyway, I'll find it.

You are in Columbia, aren't ya? What track do you go to?

Quick Reply: Vibration from undercarriage