4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

need new struts, shocks !!

Old 05-14-2007, 03:55 PM
ROB 98GT
2nd Gear Member

Default need new struts, shocks !!

Well after installing my h&r springs my struts are pretty well shot after a couple months. What would you guys suggest for struts and shocks? My car is a daily driver and the roads around here are really bad so I would be looking for something that wouldn't be too bad of a ride. I also take the car to the track a few times in the year so if it could help there great. Something not to pricey !!!?? Thanks
Old 05-14-2007, 04:04 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: need new struts, shocks !!

Tockio HP's BLUE shocks and struts about 279 shipped for the full set.
Old 05-14-2007, 04:20 PM
PaintballFreak
4th Gear Member

strange 10 way adjustables from summit racing or modular powerhouse
Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

I know I'll probably get flamed for this. Nonetheless here goes...[/align][/align]You can get Gabriel Ultras, all around with a lifetime warranty, forjust a tad over $210 from Autozone--walk-in, plop your money down and walk out with 'em under your arm. [/align][/align]I put a set of these on my '03 when I got it last December, and just put on another set on Saturday, 14k miles later, because I was doing pads and rotors and thought "why not". You just buy the new ones at AZ and get your money back when you return the old set.[/align][/align]The Ultrashave quite a bit more control than OEM, but not so much as to shake your teeth out. When I swapped out the OEM shocks at 31k miles the improvement in handling was dramatic, however there was no discernable difference changing from the 5 month/14k milesold set--I wasn't expecting any, just thought I'd see if there would be.[/align][/align]Now for the deepest and darkest of my secrets, I have run Gabriel Ultras on my Miatas for over 6 years and out-handled guys with Konis and Bilsteins (both vastly overrated IMHO) numerous times--plus you get to have new shocks whenever you feel like it (within reason)...[/align][/align]
Old 05-14-2007, 09:13 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

Not overly cheap, but I put on tokico d-specs last summer and I really think they improved the ride.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:51 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

Any of you guy run some KYB GR-2's? very cheaply priced like 210 shipped
Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 PM
richsw
1st Gear Member

I agree with Cliff. The Gabriel Ultras are a very nice shock and struts. I don't know where he got the price
but at my local 'Zone the front struts are $45.99 ea and the rears are $19.99. ea.
I just can't afford $300 or more for shocks and struts.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

**** and i get a discount with autozone for working at goodyear (use to) I might just try these. Good for the pro kit? or not good for lowered cars?
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

ORIGINAL: richsw

I agree with Cliff. The Gabriel Ultras are a very nice shock and struts. I don't know where he got the price
but at my local 'Zone the front struts are $45.99 ea and the rears are $19.99. ea.
I just can't afford $300 or more for shocks and struts.
[/align][/align]
You're right, I had it in my head that it raised heck with $200 and added another $10 to be safe...[/align][/align]I dug out the reciepts, those are the prices I paid back then, but thestruts are $58 now, and the shocks $22 -- with tax and all it came to $171.16 (I got that refunded when I returned the "old" set).[/align][/align]I don't know about the Mustang units, however the Miata shocks are exactly the same as the "blue" Tokicos--right down to the stamped ID numbers and that they are painted black, in fact one set of front shocks I got said Tokico on them.[/align][/align]
Old 05-14-2007, 10:32 PM
sunguf
3rd Gear Member

Thanks Cliff! ?I don't know if you helped the poster of this thread but i know what shocks struts to go with for my pro kit!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: need new struts, shocks !!