4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Removing axles HELP NOW!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:41 AM
JT76

Default RE: Removing axles HELP NOW!!!

ORIGINAL: uberstang1

So ford tech's don't know what teh shims look like??? They shouldnt be working on gears considering it looks like they have no clue what there doing, just because there techs doesnt mean there qualified for every job, once again gears are generally a job you want someone to do that has expereince in doing them, which they apparently have none
they arnt Ford techs, they work on all high end crap, they have just never did a job like this before on a Mustang. They are going to doing it and its not my car so whatever, they are just using this to get some tech advice along the way. If you dont have anything constructive to contribute, please dont post
Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 AM
99StangGTTN
2nd Gear Member

Just make sure when you do this put everything back in the way it came out. I did a gear swap a few years back without the gear tools and it never whined a bit.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:59 AM
timeformiller44
4th Gear Member

So ford tech's don't know what teh shims look like??? They shouldnt be working on gears considering it looks like they have no clue what there doing, just because there techs doesnt mean there qualified for every job, once again gears are generally a job you want someone to do that has expereince in doing them, which they apparently have none
*** you
Old 05-15-2007, 02:22 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

*** you
I don't think that is called for because uberstang is 200% correct.

But anyway in your pic the skinner part is the shim and the other part is the bearing carrier race. And to get the pinion out I put the nut back on the end of the pinion (so you don't f up the threads)and tap it out
Old 05-15-2007, 02:39 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stanggang1892

Are these the shims?

Yes, those are the shims. I did my own gear swap three weeks ago, was not that bad. Here are some instructions to follow, they worked great for me: http://www.superstallions.com/tech/d...ars/gears.html
To get the pinion gear out you have to make sure you unbolt the driveshaft and the pinion flange on the back of the pinion gear. Then use a punch to hammer it out. It is in there pretty snug, but will come out.
Old 05-15-2007, 03:06 AM
bryanec
2nd Gear Member

Take your time dont rush it. You will forget a step and have to tear it back apart if you get in a hurry. Dont get the "well thats close enough attitude" either. Just look everything over and make sure it goes back together the way it came apart. Print off the site above and the PMs, then follow them and it WILL turn out perfect
[align=left] [/align]
Old 05-15-2007, 09:46 AM
8banger
4th Gear Member

The bottom one is the shim,,the other is the Carrier Bearing Race...

take off the pinion nut,knock or drive off the flange(use puller is you have one)most dont.....rubber mallet gently(with the nut a few threads on thepinion,,,,tap it out(it will be alittle difficult to remove).....catch it on the other side....
Old 05-15-2007, 01:45 PM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: timeformiller44

[blockquote]quote:

[/blockquote]

*** you

[/blockquote]
I don't think that is called for because uberstang is 200% correct.

But anyway in your pic the skinner part is the shim and the other part is the bearing carrier race. And to get the pinion out I put the nut back on the end of the pinion (so you don't f up the threads)and tap it out

Thanks Bramas, by no means did I want to sound like a jerk, just saying that gears aren't really a do at home mod for a first timer thats all.