4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Car starts and then just dies

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 AM
chris_2vGT

Default Car starts and then just dies

Well im a little pissed i havent had the car more than a year now this and it's still fairly new. my brother took it to work and it started up a little rough he said then he brought it home no more than 1 hour later i try to start it up it starts up fine but with hesitation i give it a little gas when this happens and then i think its fine i let off the gas and then the car just dies. i can start it everything is fine and it just dies once it starts up . It's late and hard to see and im going to get on this first in the morning but i havent the slightest clue what this could be i did a quick check and the throttle cable and all that seems fine everything looks connected and the way it should be. any ideas guys ? btw it's a 01 GT
Old 05-16-2007, 01:39 AM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Car starts and then just dies

fuel pump may have died...i'd check the pump/filter/switch in trunk
Old 05-16-2007, 02:10 AM
chris_2vGT

sorry i didnt research it kinda just freaked out and posted but after a few forum searches it seems identical to what people with bad iac go threw. so im like 99% sure form reading it's the iac and it just needs a good cleaning sorry for the premature post guys just a little freaked out thats all
Old 05-16-2007, 03:23 AM
chris_2vGT

hrmmm just to check out the IAC i took it off and examied the inside. now i didnt see anything clogged it looked good actually. does this matter with the problem i have or could it be clogged in a spot i cant see.. like the pathway that goes into the plenum ? or possibly the hose that goes from the intake to the iac but the thing is that part seems very big and i doubt it can clog up with a little bit of dirt. im scared now that i took it apart that it looks fine. but is there more to it internally that im not catching ? and how do i clean it do i turn the car with the IAC off and spray carb cleaner into the part where the plenum is ? and just clean the IAC with some car cleaner and qtips ?
Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 AM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

If it was a bad IAC then the car would idle rough but still run somewhat. If you start the car without giveing it any gas and it drops straight back down after startup and dies then it's the TPS. I've seen several of them stick. Tap on the side of the Throttle Positioning Sensor while someone starts the car and see if it works.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:59 PM
dyefreak315

The IAC could be bad, and it would not just run rough it would shut down.

IAC, Fuel Pump, Battery?
Old 05-16-2007, 03:21 PM
contentsunderpressur
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dyefreak315

The IAC could be bad, and it would not just run rough it would shut down.

IAC, Fuel Pump, Battery?
If you go unplug your IAC with the car running the idle will drop more but it will still idle for a little bit. It'll idle for probably 15 or 20 seconds before it shuts down. If the car is going straight dead when he starts it then it's the TPS.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:36 PM
czwalga00gt
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: contentsunderpressur

If it was a bad IAC then the car would idle rough but still run somewhat. If you start the car without giveing it any gas and it drops straight back down after startup and dies then it's the TPS. I've seen several of them stick. Tap on the side of the Throttle Positioning Sensor while someone starts the car and see if it works.

Not true; my car would die if I didnt stay on the gas when I started it. If its only kinda bad, thats when it just idles bad.

It's your IAC buy a new one... easy fix.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Jexey
2nd Gear Member

Check all your vacuum lines make sure they're hooked up, I put in a cold air on a friends car and one of the vacuum lines wiggled out after a little driving and the same thing happened.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 PM
Jonny.GT

my does this sometimes but its more cause of the alarm...

when you start your car see if the theft light is flashing cause the alarm will shut the car off if it thinks its being stolen.

Quick Reply: Car starts and then just dies