4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Squeaky wheel/brakes?

Old 05-16-2007, 01:23 PM
Tonk
1st Gear Member

Default Squeaky wheel/brakes?

I have a 2001 Mustang GT with 83,xxx miles. I just bought it a couple weeks ago from a used car dealership. When I drive it, there is a squeaking from the rear wheels everytime the wheels rotate, and it stops when I apply force to the brakes. At first they thought it was something with the brakes, but after having it for like 5 days now they're saying it's a wheel bearing. This is all at no cost to me, but it's a pain in the *** not having my car.

Any ideas what it is? Anyone have this problem before?
Old 05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
JESTER01GT

Default RE: Squeaky wheel/brakes?

If it was a wheel bearing, I dont see why the noise would stop when you hit your brakes......Still just sounds like pads are bad. Could possibly be a caliper sticking too........Let us know what you find
Old 05-16-2007, 11:33 PM
sprostang
I ♥ Acer

Im sure its just the pads. Sounds like they are trying to screw you for more $$$.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:37 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I have the same exact problem with my car. I can't figure out what it is. The shop that replace the rear brakes said it was a lubrication issue, and they re-lubed everything. This solved the problem. . . for a while. Now it is back and is very annoying. I have to take it back in.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 PM
kenv
4th Gear Member

Hope they get it fixed. If it is a wheel bearing, it will not be a good thing if it seizes up while you are driving.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:07 AM
Tonk
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sprostang

Im sure its just the pads. Sounds like they are trying to screw you for more $$$.
The pads are brand new. And they're not trying to screw me for more money...I made sure to make them agree to fix the problem as part of the deal...I just hate not having my nice car. I'm stuck driving around my 1990 Civic hatchback until I get my Stang back.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:14 AM
35thAnni99GT
3rd Gear Member

Sounds like pads rubbing or not broken in to me? If it was a wheel bearing in my experience its been a clicking our clunking sound. My strut assembly started squeaking lately tooand its not ballin at all. Makes me feel like im driving a 300 dollar Tercel when I pull up to the club and everyonecan hear the strut squeaking with my exhaust in the background.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:32 PM
Tonk
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 35thAnni99GT

Sounds like pads rubbing or not broken in to me? If it was a wheel bearing in my experience its been a clicking our clunking sound. My strut assembly started squeaking lately tooand its not ballin at all. Makes me feel like im driving a 300 dollar Tercel when I pull up to the club and everyonecan hear the strut squeaking with my exhaust in the background.
How long should the break-in period be? I drove it 750 miles(about half city driving, half highway) the first week I had it and the squeaking hadn't gotten any quieter.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:55 PM
GodAmGT00
5th Gear Member

Do you lay into your brakes hard?? You shouldn't be doing that for about 1,000 miles.. Not only are you seating the pads correctly, and getting the caliper back in it's proper place, the pads need to be heat cycled a few times to "season," them and the rotors.. You could have some dirt or debris behind the pad, or even one of the clips might have been re-used when they put the brakes back together...

JT
Old 05-18-2007, 04:18 PM
Chubstang
5th Gear Member

I had this problem with my tbird in the front, I replaced the rotors and it went haven't had any problems since. I think the rotors were slightly warped so they were causing the pad to vibrate causing a squeak, and it would go away when I stepped on the brakes. rotors is my guess from my experiance.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Squeaky wheel/brakes?