4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

My Personal thoughts on Dumping....

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:56 PM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

Default My Personal thoughts on Dumping....

Ok yesterday I almost had my mind made up. I went out and got a electric saw and was about to cut my pipes at an angle right after the mufflers and dump them..... But I just couldn't do it.... I had this sick feeling that I wouldn't like it.... So......

My friend had wanted his car dumped. Even though his car was an SN95, they share a similar sound with our new edges so I decided to go ahead and experiment on his...

What we did was simple and took approximately 4 minutes. Same process I was gonna do with mine. We went about 2 inches right after the mufflers and cute the pipes at an angle. Really I don't know if it actually directed the air downwards because we didn't do any type of bending.... but hey, It was just a test.

His exhuast setup is a follows...... Ford Motor Sport Racing Headers (Shorties), Off Road H pipe, Flowmaster 40s.

When we started up the car..... we didn't notice THAT much of a difference. If anything there was more of a slightly deeper tone but not extravagant. Here are the things I noticed.

- I noticed you did hear the exhuast more in the back seat then anywhere else.
- More drone.
- Dust flys just about everywhere.
- Slight increase in fumes, especially when at a stop (Worst was when we was sitting under the rain roof of sonics)
- No noticeable power increase.....

So I have come to the conclusion that I will not dump my car. But I want to hear the cams a bit more. So I'm going to swap the Bassani's out with some SLP Loud Mouth 1s. Pretty much a straight through pipe with a can at the end.

So I hope this helps the curious like me who was thinking of Dumping they stang! Enjoy!
Old 05-17-2007, 12:08 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My Personal thoughts on Dumping....

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of the dumps. As soon as I get around to it, I'm going to get rid of them. My car isn't even a DD and it drives me crazy.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:11 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

Yeah I'm definitely not a fan of the dumps. As soon as I get around to it, I'm going to get rid of them. My car isn't even a DD and it drives me crazy.

Yea..... Last time I'm going to try and make my car sound like the Bucket..... lol....

But I did find a nice deal on a Roush kit which I'm considering. Including side exhuast. My next research will bein the power loses associated with side exhuast versus rear exhuast.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:17 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

Ok yesterday I almost had my mind made up. I went out and got a electric saw and was about to cut my pipes at an angle right after the mufflers and dump them..... But I just couldn't do it.... I had this sick feeling that I wouldn't like it.... So......

My friend had wanted his car dumped. Even though his car was an SN95, they share a similar sound with our new edges so I decided to go ahead and experiment on his...

What we did was simple and took approximately 4 minutes. Same process I was gonna do with mine. We went about 2 inches right after the mufflers and cute the pipes at an angle. Really I don't know if it actually directed the air downwards because we didn't do any type of bending.... but hey, It was just a test.

His exhuast setup is a follows...... Ford Motor Sport Racing Headers (Shorties), Off Road H pipe, Flowmaster 40s.

When we started up the car..... we didn't notice THAT much of a difference. If anything there was more of a slightly deeper tone but not extravagant. Here are the things I noticed.

- More drone.
- Slight increase in fumes, especially when at a stop (Worst was when we was sitting under the rain roof of sonics)

So I have come to the conclusion that I will not dump my car. But I want to hear the cams a bit more. So I'm going to swap the Bassani's out with some SLP Loud Mouth 1s. Pretty much a straight through pipe with a can at the end.

So I hope this helps the curious like me who was thinking of Dumping they stang! Enjoy!
[hr]

You lose power when you do that. You get your mustang and have it dynoed like it is, then you dump your pipes and have it dynoed, I bet you lose hp and tq
Old 05-17-2007, 12:23 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Victor is right, and we found a pic of him!!!

Hehe
Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 AM
code3GT
Mustang Nazi

ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

- More drone.

[hr]

You lose power when you do that. You get your mustang and have it dynoed like it is, then you dump your pipes and have it dynoed, I bet you lose hp and tq
You will gain a little HP, but lose some TQ.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:35 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: code3GT

ORIGINAL: svt_97cobra

- More drone.

[hr]

You will gain a little HP, but lose some TQ.
[hr]
My uncle had the full exhaust with pipes outthe backand had it dynoed, then came home and a couple months later he cut the pipes off and he bought the drop pipes that point down and cut the other pipes off andput them on and like a week later went to get a tune and lost like 4hp and 6tq, and the guy at the dyno shop said it was due to back pressure. I'm not starting an arguement, this is just my experience with drop offs.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 AM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

Yea..... Last time I'm going to try and make my car sound like the Bucket..... lol....

But I did find a nice deal on a Roush kit which I'm considering. Including side exhuast. My next research will bein the power loses associated with side exhuast versus rear exhuast.
If you have sub frame connectors you will run into problems with the side exhaust.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:39 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jaybird79

Victor is right, and we found a pic of him!!!

Hehe
Oh the Humanity!!!!!! WHY???? lol..... Damn paprazi! Can a man prarie dog as he pleases now a days? lol
Old 05-17-2007, 12:41 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

I don't know why someone like Mitch would ever have to worry about TQ..... lol

With all the juice.... TQ become just stupid.... lol

Quick Reply: My Personal thoughts on Dumping....