4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Performance Chip Issue !

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:04 PM
hochness
1st Gear Member

Default Performance Chip Issue !

Hello all, I just got my 2000 GT back from the mechanic for a rough cold start idle. He went through the entire car and came up with the conclusion that the car has a performance chip in it (i didn't know that it did). And with all the mods that it's got, I've got to let the car "warm up" in the morning or after it's cooled down before I can drive it. Just to give you a history....The car started idleing very rough and felt as if it was pulling a 10000 pound trailer until it would warm up to past the 1/2 way mark on the thermo. It then started doing it even after it had warmed up. My mechanic said that the EGR valve had been deleted and not plugged and that was causing the warm rough ride issue. But I still need to let it warm up in the morn. or after work. It worked fine (10 min. warm up) the first 2 days but this morn. it took 20 before it ran smooth enough to drive it. He's done a compression test, replaced a bad injector, new OEM spark plugs and several other things. I contacted the previous owner and they said they never had that problem before, but they always let it warm up in the morn. Do you think that it has something to do with the chip?? My mechanic said I need to treat it like a carburated car. I don't agree with that, do you all? I'm to the point of trading it in on a Toyota.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:16 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Performance Chip Issue !

Don't give up and buy something crappy just because you got a bad deal here. I would talk to a different shop. Does he mean the egr was deleted or turned off. If the tube from the header to the t/b was just deleted with wide openholes I could see a problem. Plus you can't just remove the tube. You have to turn the EGR off with a tune. So if the valve was never turned off in a tune then it's going to run like crap. You shouldn't have to deal with this kinda stuff. I wouldn't beat on a cold car but it shouldn't be this extreme.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:39 PM
hochness
1st Gear Member

I understood him to say that it was removed. If it was just removed and not turned off with a tune, wouldthat cause it to run bad till the car warms up? Also, how do you turn it off with a tune? Is this something that I can do or should I take it somewhere. I've called a different mechanic and they agreed with me that you shouldn't have to treat it like a carb'd car. You should be able to get in it and drive away (not hard on a cold morn. of course). I'll have to let it sit for a min. of 10 before I can drive it home after work today and it's 77 degrees outside right now.

Sam
Old 05-17-2007, 07:07 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hochness

I understood him to say that it was removed. If it was just removed and not turned off with a tune, wouldthat cause it to run bad till the car warms up? Also, how do you turn it off with a tune? Is this something that I can do or should I take it somewhere. I've called a different mechanic and they agreed with me that you shouldn't have to treat it like a carb'd car. You should be able to get in it and drive away (not hard on a cold morn. of course). I'll have to let it sit for a min. of 10 before I can drive it home after work today and it's 77 degrees outside right now.

Sam
Well I'm not sure if you can do it with a handle held flash tuner or not but my tuner did it with my tune software. To be honest with you, the cheapest thing to do would to reinstall the EGR system. Is it blocked off on the throttle body and header or is the valve still there? If the valve is still there just but the tube back in and run it. Or price out a new egr valve with the tube. Or wait for someone else to chime in and say if you can do it with a handle held. Cuz you don't really have enough mods to need a all out tune and it would be expensive. At least $500. Sorry that was kinda confusing. I hope it made sense.
Old 05-17-2007, 07:41 PM
hochness
1st Gear Member

That makes sense. I'd have to look and see what the mechanic did. I doubt he left the tube there. I've slept since I talked with him, but I thought he said the EGR was removed and he plugged up the holes. Is it easy to install the EGR. Where is it on this car. Forgive my ignorance on this.

Sam