4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

4.6 DOHC Motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 04:38 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 4.6 DOHC Motor

youre going to need new injectors, new fuel pump (preferably a return system).. if you really wanna make power, stage 2-3 blower cams and heads with the F/I, many dyno tunes etc. it goes on and on. its not unattainable but it wont happen overnight.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:15 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

Forged SOHC cars can surpass 450RWHP.

All you need is full bolt-ons (intake mods, long tube headers etc) along with a power adder such as Nitrous or a Supercharger if you don't want to go the Turbo route. Very attainable!

A forged engine can handle all that power, but your transmission won't be able to for very long. Not to mention everything your suspension will need in upgrades to stand a chance of putting it all to the pavement.
Well I would want to supercharge it, and I would to heads, intake, headers, suspension and new tranny. But I didnt know that they could get that high since I havent seen to many SOHC hit over 430hp.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2002GTAUTOVERT

youre going to need new injectors, new fuel pump (preferably a return system).. if you really wanna make power, stage 2-3 blower cams and heads with the F/I, many dyno tunes etc. it goes on and on. its not unattainable but it wont happen overnight.
LOL Im not trying to get 500 hp by tomorrow so I know it will take time. But I want to go with a supercharger, would a intercooled vortech be able to get me up to that type of hp or a different type of supercharger ?
Old 05-18-2007, 06:28 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lighswitch

Yes complete expect oil pan, and wiring harness. Yeah I know i will need a supercharger but I know with a DOHC I can get better gains over a 2V and plus it can handle more power than a stock 2V.
No it can't. Unless it has forged rods/pistons it cannot handle anymore hp than your typical factory N/A 2v & 4v. 450rwhp.

BTW, many of those engines from Napa are rebuilt pieces of crap, meaning theoriginal crank still may be in use, inspection is poor & many just end upin pieces again.I've had a few friends buy them & have issues right away. I wouldn't do it.
[hr]
Alocal guyhas a stock internal 96 Cobra engine in a fox bodywith a Vortech S/C and a 75 shot of Nitrous making 680+hp and 720+tq when he blew it up. But the only reason it blew up was because of too much timing and he had detonation and cracked a piston. Everything in our engine is better than and can handle more power than a 2v except the pistons, and the pistons will hold up as long as you dont lean your car out too bad and cause detonation.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:56 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

No everything isn't better. The only motor where 'everything is better' is the 03/04 Cobra motor.

They use the same connecting rods & pistons. They will blow at 450rwhp or more. Of course they all don't break right away at 450RWHP, but it's a ticking time bomb. Several people have surpassed 500rwhp on internally stock 96-04 GT & 96-01 Cobra motors - but they all blew up or needed a rebuild for forged internals.

Contrary to whatever that guy did or told you - your engine internals are the same as a 2v GT. They can only SAFELY hold less than 450RWHP.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Ahhhh Im getting mixed info right now ! Im getting scarred.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:11 PM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

No everything isn't better. The only motor where 'everything is better' is the 03/04 Cobra motor.

They use the same connecting rods & pistons. They will blow at 450rwhp or more. Of course they all don't break right away at 450RWHP, but it's a ticking time bomb. Several people have surpassed 500rwhp on internally stock 96-04 GT & 96-01 Cobra motors - but they all blew up or needed a rebuild for forged internals.

Contrary to whatever that guy did or told you - your engine internals are the same as a 2v GT. They can only SAFELY hold less than 450RWHP.
[hr]

I believe your wrong, I know for sure our pistons are not the same, I'm not sure about rods,and I know good and wellthe block will withstand morepower than a 2v. Cobra's from 96-98 are totaly different than gt's from 99-04 and totaly differentfrom 99 and 01 cobra's.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:19 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

From what I heard I thought our blocks were the same just some differences with some internals and different heads.
Old 05-19-2007, 05:25 AM
svt_97cobra
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: lighswitch

From what I heard I thought our blocks were the same just some differences with some internals and different heads.

[hr]

I know that is what you heard, so I am not being an ***... But How are the blocks going to be the same? So are you saying they use the same block in every mustang....no Think of it like this... Can you take your 2V engine and strip everything down to the block and thentake a Cobra 4V engine and strip it down to the block.Then put the all the cams and the heads and everything that came off the cobra engine andput it on theGt block? Are you going to magically change your GT block into an aluminum block like the Cobra's have...?
Old 05-19-2007, 12:54 PM
Hulk99
3rd Gear Member

96-98 cobras with the teskid block, have the strongest block ever put into a mustang period. However, as far as I know only the crank is forged and the rods ands pisons are just as ****ty as a GT's. Dan is right that over 450rwhp the internals are a ticking time bomb so to speak. The 03/04 cobra blocks are not quite as legendary as the teskid block, but they are strong enough to handle numbers well beyond what a street car needs. To boot the 03/04 cobras have forged internals making the entire engine quite solid up and over 450rwhp. Really with any car 4v or 2v lots of things are going to have to be upgraded when you are exceeding 500rwhp. In GTs its alot of things such as block, internals, fuel pump, rearend, etc. However even with the immortal 03/04s upgrades are needed such as swaping out the independent rear suspension as HP numbers soar. No matter what you but it is gonna be expensive. To be quite honest above and beyond 600rwhp you are going to have a very hard time using that kind of power anywhere but on a drag strip with slicks, etc. However, to answer the original question with your 2v GT you could easily have a 600-650rwhp car for under 20k in mods. (which is cheaper than the termie route) If you want insane numbers, you are gonna have to pay $$$$ to play no matter the base car. Honestly if I wanted a 1000hp car I'd start with a fox body as a platform and go with a 351 or larger engine with a blower or single race turbo.

Quick Reply: 4.6 DOHC Motor