4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

superchargers vs. nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004, 04:13 AM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: superchargers vs. nitrous

Switches are cool.......
Old 12-24-2004, 04:42 AM
99M3

the cool thing is u r N/A, till the switch is off
Old 12-24-2004, 04:16 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

Okay, Im going to have to say nitrous is WAY better for the engine. Because with a blower, yes the power is always their. But, that also means that the strain on the engine is there. Mile after mile that blower will be blowing hot air into your engine. Where as with nitrous you only strain the motor when you want to.
Old 12-24-2004, 04:24 PM
stonemonk9
3rd Gear Member

Hmmmmmmm, never thought of it that way........ but also you have to think the blower isnt always running at a high boost
Old 12-24-2004, 04:31 PM
Birdieman4
5th Gear Member

I think the bottom line is this: For short term use, n02 is not a bad way to go. If you plan on filling a bottle for more than a year or so, the a blower is better because it is more cost effective. People using n02 for more than a couple years could have put the $ into a blower. For the guy who says, " I can't afford a blower right now, so I'll just do nitrous", that shows me that they are looking at the short term and not the big picture. For those folks I say, be patient and save your $ for a blower. A blower is an investment, a no2 system really isn't. A blower will add value to a car, a n02 system adds minimal value. I am talking exclusivly about street cars, not race cars. I'm not saying that n02 is a bad idea, it's just a bad idea for long term use vs a blower for long term use, $ wise.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:43 PM
Monty
2nd Gear Member

I don't think they are looking short term. They are just taking what they can get. Think about how many ppl buy things on credit. Of course with the interset rate they will end up paying more. But the fact is that they can get something they whould'nt dream of getting without credit. That's how it is with nitrous. People are rarely able to save 4,000 dollars and just dump into their car. Compared to only saving $500 and spareing the occasinal 40. Of course it is going to cost more in the long run. But now they have the power they want and probally never would of got if they tried saving for a blower.
Old 12-25-2004, 12:22 AM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

all i can say is i love the sound of my blower at WOT. last night this lady was driving with her husband and they were in a M3 and i was with my friend (they lady was driving and they were like 40!). all of a sudden she tries to pass me and they were tryin to race me lol so i'm like oh no you don't and i went from a cruising 3rd to a downshifted 2nd and WOT'd it and it was over from there, the blower sounded so nice the windows were down and wow... (get a blower). it was fun lol, they pulled up to the stop light and we were all laughing, we nodded our heads and went out separate ways. end of story! the moral of the story is get a blower IMO =)
Old 12-25-2004, 01:08 AM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

you would have beat them without the blower too
Old 12-25-2004, 09:47 PM
94Cbra
4th Gear Member

Blowers are very nice and n20 bottle fills do suck. I agree that the bottle fills can be pricey over time. Keep in mind though, that if you run a blower hard, a 20k mile rebuild isnt a bad idea. Blowers have internal transmissions and components are bound to fail. In the long run S/C repair costs are going to catch up to the bottle fills. Its all preference I think. If the application and tune are correct N20 is the safest power adder you can buy. Also with an S/C your always gonna have that drag on the engine a lower RPM's. The cost factor always matters with how much you use it. If you only want somthing to play around with on the weekends then I would go with the N20. I was gonna go with a S/C untill I rode with a guy that has a 306 w/ 125 shot. It was definatly a kick in the pants . One last thing - If the tune and application are correct (just like a S/C) then N20 will NOT cause adverse engine wear. Gaining a tuned 100HP from a S/C isnt any different than gaining a tuned 100HP from an N20 setup. N20 doesnt have any chemicals in it that turn your pistons to jelly or magically weaken cylinder walls. The only thing that could possible weaken the engine besides detonation due to an incorrect tune is excessively increased cylinder pressure on an insufficiently built application (think about it... what do Superchargers do?? PSI = Increased cylinder pressure!).
Old 12-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Wings65288
3rd Gear Member

luckily i got my extended warranty on my car so if the sc goes out it's replaced under the warranty.
ORIGINAL: 94Cbra

Blowers are very nice and n20 bottle fills do suck. I agree that the bottle fills can be pricey over time. Keep in mind though, that if you run a blower hard, a 20k mile rebuild isnt a bad idea. Blowers have internal transmissions and components are bound to fail. In the long run S/C repair costs are going to catch up to the bottle fills. Its all preference I think. If the application and tune are correct N20 is the safest power adder you can buy. Also with an S/C your always gonna have that drag on the engine a lower RPM's. The cost factor always matters with how much you use it. If you only want somthing to play around with on the weekends then I would go with the N20. I was gonna go with a S/C untill I rode with a guy that has a 306 w/ 125 shot. It was definatly a kick in the pants . One last thing - If the tune and application are correct (just like a S/C) then N20 will NOT cause adverse engine wear. Gaining a tuned 100HP from a S/C isnt any different than gaining a tuned 100HP from an N20 setup. N20 doesnt have any chemicals in it that turn your pistons to jelly or magically weaken cylinder walls. The only thing that could possible weaken the engine besides detonation due to an incorrect tune is excessively increased cylinder pressure on an insufficiently built application (think about it... what do Superchargers do?? PSI = Increased cylinder pressure!).