4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Extra friction modifer for use with RP? Gear break in?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 06:30 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Default Extra friction modifer for use with RP? Gear break in?

Bought 3 quarts of Royal Purple Max-Gear Synthetic 75w-90: http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...-gear-oil.html

The Summit guy convinced me to buy a small bottle of FRPP Friction Modifer for posi's saying nothing more then "he highly recommends it". Tomarrow when I have the gears put in I figure I will let them put in the ghetto NAPA gear oil for break in, because I heard its not good to break in rear gears with synthetic. So, when I drain the crappy stuff out after 500 or so miles and add the RP, am I going to have to put in the FRPP modifer? Or should I just give the FRPP stuff to the gear guys to use with thier oil? RP seems pretty convincing that its own self containing posi additive will be fine. What do you guys think? Any tips for gear break in? Thanks as usual!
Old 05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Default RE: Extra friction modifer for use with RP? Gear break in?

You're going to need the friction modifier with the "ghetto" oil or you mayget some nasty snaps and pops from the t-lok clutches, depending on how long you keep the oil in there--any more than a couple hundred mailes and you can be sure of it, you'll also be accelerating the wear on the clutch packs after that.[/align][/align]Also, and I'm sure there are those here who will argue this, you don't really need to use any "break-in" oil if you don't care to. Just fill it up with the RP and change it again in 20k or so--you'll be fine.[/align]
Old 05-21-2007, 08:35 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

Bought 3 quarts of Royal Purple Max-Gear Synthetic 75w-90: http://www.americanmuscle.com/royal-...-gear-oil.html

The Summit guy convinced me to buy a small bottle of FRPP Friction Modifer for posi's saying nothing more then "he highly recommends it". Tomarrow when I have the gears put in I figure I will let them put in the ghetto NAPA gear oil for break in, because I heard its not good to break in rear gears with synthetic. So, when I drain the crappy stuff out after 500 or so miles and add the RP, am I going to have to put in the FRPP modifer? Or should I just give the FRPP stuff to the gear guys to use with thier oil? RP seems pretty convincing that its own self containing posi additive will be fine. What do you guys think? Any tips for gear break in? Thanks as usual!
Put the RP in from the start.
Forget about the ghetto stuff.

Breaking in with Synthetic is bad is a myth with current cars.
Don't believe it?
Take a look at how many cars have synthetic oil right out of the factory.
Mustangs, BMW, Audi, VW, Porsche, Vettes etc....
Oh, BTW your Mustang is one of them.
Read the little metal tag on the differential carrier.
It should say SNYTH.. on it.

However, it doesn't hurt to dump the modifier in with the RP as well.
Mobil in fact suggests doing so for "extreme wear" applications and their gear oil
comes with the modifier in it just like RP does.

Old 05-21-2007, 09:56 PM
catch_15
2nd Gear Member

You should be fine with the RP from the get go...and all the modifier is is a detergent that prevents the clutch packs from burning up...it's not about what brand of modifier you have, but whether you have it in there or not.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:14 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

I didn't put in any of the friction midifier in with my Royal Purple gear oil. I just used the RP and I have had no problems.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:38 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

I didn't put in any of the friction midifier in with my Royal Purple gear oil. I just used the RP and I have had no problems.
You don't have to.
RP comes with the modifier in it already.
So does Mobil 1 Synthetic.

All I was saying is that it doesn't hurt anything if you add a bottle along with it.