4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:45 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: headers

OK, last question. Did you notice any performance improvement after installing the headers. I have a Steeda exhaust with high flow cats but stock manifolds. I have to believe whoever did it did not want to spend the extra money for headers and installing them. I don't want to spend all kinds of money and only see a minor performance change. I am sure there will be some improvement but I don't know if its worth the money. Typically, stock manifolds are very restrictive.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:18 PM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Shelbyville

OK, last question. Did you notice any performance improvement after installing the headers. I have a Steeda exhaust with high flow cats but stock manifolds. I have to believe whoever did it did not want to spend the extra money for headers and installing them. I don't want to spend all kinds of money and only see a minor performance change. I am sure there will be some improvement but I don't know if its worth the money. Typically, stock manifolds are very restrictive.
The raw torque increase was exceptional. It had power throughout the range, and the sound difference was worth the money by itself. I chose the O/R x since I don't have emissions out here. I would like to switch from flowmaster catback to Magnapacks or something, but otherwise I am extremely satisfied with them
Old 05-22-2007, 05:56 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

I would reccomend Kooks if you got the money. Good quality products and they sound awesome. Mac seems to have picked up their game on headers so you can check them out. SLP's I hear are nice. I've heard good and bad for BBK but seem to be alright.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:02 PM
onebad347

IMO, you really can't go wrong with any of headers listed by the other guys. I personally have Mac, but some like BBK, Hooker, JBA, SLP or even Hedman. You're paying for the name on some brands. You def. want to get the c. coated headers if you can afford them. I don't think you're going to see a huge difference in HP if you go with one or the other. Get what fits your budget!!
Old 05-22-2007, 06:09 PM
02 Ninja
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: onebad347

IMO, you really can't go wrong with any of headers listed by the other guys. I personally have Mac, but some like BBK, Hooker, JBA, SLP or even Hedman. You're paying for the name on some brands. You def. want to get the c. coated headers if you can afford them. I don't think you're going to see a huge difference in HP if you go with one or the other. Get what fits your budget!!
+1
Old 05-22-2007, 06:45 PM
MaKaVeLi
2nd Gear Member

well, im gonna install bbk short ceramic coated for my 02 auto, sombody told me that short headers is better for autos :S
Old 05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Shelbyville
2nd Gear Member

How about Edelbrock? Anyone have these? Specifically the 65603 model. Seems reasonably priced.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
thatdude305
3rd Gear Member

dont get shorties they are a waste of money....they dont do anything for horses and in the future they are harder to work with....dont waste that money...i would prefer you to give me that money...lol
Old 05-23-2007, 09:16 PM
GT03 TJS
3rd Gear Member

i have FRPP ceramic coated shorties and I love em. I have to worry about emissions around where I live, so long tubes weren't an option ( and for all of you that are going to bring up the O/R prochamber in my sig....I have an MRT catted H on at the moment....)

The thing I noticed when I got them out of the box was that they had a little bit of weld flack or whatever you wanna call it, so i spent a couple hours cleaning up what I could....then i went to a family mechanic (huge ford guy....rally races an 04 cobra) and installed them with him at his garage for 100 bucks and a few beers.

Its definetly a labor intensive job, and it took us just about 4 to 5 hours of semi-focused working lol... like everyone said, get what fits ur budget and application....you may not see as much of an increase with the shorties as you would longtubes...especially being N/A...but if you need to worry about emissions like i do but still want a few ponies (maybe 3-5?) and a better exhaust note, i'd recommend the shorties.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Mez
3rd Gear Member

Buy my MAC LTs and be happy !!! haha

Quick Reply: headers