4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Need Help Now!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:42 PM
Pauly_B
2nd Gear Member

Default Need Help Now!!!!!!

How do u change a pinion seal 8.8 rear end
Old 05-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Yellow Fever
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Need Help Now!!!!!!

Look on the Tech boards. You have to take apart your differential to do it.
Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Pauly_B
2nd Gear Member

its the seal on the outside of the case i was thinking just letting go the drive shaft and poping out the seal and replacing the other one
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

i just got mine replaced for $300. plus i needed a new pinion yolk bc that had a small hole it in as well.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:11 PM
amoosenamedhank
5th Gear Member

Just take the drive shaft off and pull the cover off(all the fluid will come out so have a pan). Then replace the gasket, and bolt it back up. Make sure to put new fluid it in.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

Just take the drive shaft off and pull the cover off(all the fluid will come out so have a pan). Then replace the gasket, and bolt it back up. Make sure to put new fluid it in.
Think he is talking about the seal (small one) that goes on the driveshaft side of the housing. Pretty sure you would have to unbolt driveshaft from the flange on the diff housing (pinion), remove the pinion nut to remove the flange. Then you have access to remove the seal. The part Im not sure on is that when you loosen the pinion nut, you also remove the preload on the pinion bearing. Preload is set with a crushcollar that goes towards the inside of the housing on the pinion. I cant remember if you can remove thiscrush collarthrough the space made when the seal is removed or if you have to take the entire LSD assembly out. You would change the crushcollar with a new one, then get an inch lb. torque wrench and after reassembling everything you can torque the pinion nut to8-14 inch/lb. Or you can skip all that, just change the seal and hope your previous preload was only about 8-9 inch/lb and since being from 8-14 inch/lb is within specs then you can torque it a bit more to like 10-14 inch/lb. Hope this helps some and if someone sees anything wrong here, please correct me.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:33 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Pitt

ORIGINAL: amoosenamedhank

Think he is talking about the seal (small one) that goes on the driveshaft side of the housing. Pretty sure you would have to unbolt driveshaft from the flange on the diff housing (pinion), remove the pinion nut to remove the flange. Then you have access to remove the seal. The part Im not sure on is that when you loosen the pinion nut, you also remove the preload on the pinion bearing. Preload is set with a crushcollar that goes towards the inside of the housing on the pinion. I cant remember if you can remove thiscrush collarthrough the space made when the seal is removed or if you have to take the entire LSD assembly out. You would change the crushcollar with a new one, then get an inch lb. torque wrench and after reassembling everything you can torque the pinion nut to8-14 inch/lb. Or you can skip all that, just change the seal and hope your previous preload was only about 8-9 inch/lb and since being from 8-14 inch/lb is within specs then you can torque it a bit more to like 10-14 inch/lb. Hope this helps some and if someone sees anything wrong here, please correct me.
Yes,,you are correct for the most part.....remove driveshaft,,,,,remove pinion nut,,drive off flange,,,,using a screwdriver ,,,,,tap inward on pinion seal lip(outer part of seal edge)...then pop out(once you see it moving or loose) ...pinion will remain in housing....get a new seal....coat the inner part of the seal (rubber part)with alittle gear lube or bearing grease(just so the seal doesnt get hot due to friction on the flange ) ...Tap new seal in housing.....re-install flange,,,,use Locite(red) on pinion nut or pinion threads.....tighten nut back down(not with an impact)torque to appox 45 ft lbs...(crush collar and preload are already set,,,unless you use an impact and tighten the snot out of it,,changing preload..) re-install driveshaft....Done....Top off fluid if need be...
Old 05-24-2007, 07:36 PM
8banger
4th Gear Member

Also,,,,dont get frustated,,,with the pinion flange,,it will be difficult to drive off .....and will come off...Rotate ,,tap ,,rotate tap(hit with a small hammer)(backside).....
Old 05-24-2007, 09:56 PM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

This is good to know, I think I am leaking gear oil from the pinion seal as well. Going to have to jack the car up and take a look.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Pitt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SINISTER

This is good to know, I think I am leaking gear oil from the pinion seal as well. Going to have to jack the car up and take a look.
Tell me about it, I have the same problem but seeing if by ignoring it, it will go away! Then I would have an excuse for a new Truetrac 31 spline LSD and axles!