4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Put my 180 stat and fan relay mod in?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 07:31 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

Default Put my 180 stat and fan relay mod in?

car runs at 176 when the car is moving but when i stop at a light, it would shoot up to 191 and then with a flip of a switch it dropped back down to 176 in like 30 sec. all together it probably cost like $30 all together def worth it..will be testing it out at the track wensday tell you guys how it works out
Old 06-03-2007, 09:49 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Put my 180 stat and fan relay mod in?

whats the point of this mod???
Old 06-03-2007, 10:18 PM
GoodLife

any of you guys with 96-98 cobra overheating in traffic? or getting hot in traffic and okay at roadspeed.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

Sweet tell me what parts you used and where you got em please. Did you use a write up? Whats involved?

sxynerd: The point of this mod can be found by coming down to Firebird Raceway in Phoenix and running over 212'F idleing waiting to stage a blazing hot motor. The other sucky thing about our cars is ofcourse when you shut the motor down to let it cool off the fan does not come on when you cycle back to "ON". You have to have the motor running for the fan to work which kicks the whole cool down purpose right in the ****.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:56 AM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

DOes it really affect you fuel economy to have a 180 t-stat? I just put in one and I haven't noticed anything yet. I also don't have aftermarket gauges. How do I do this mod? I'm moving back out to the deserts of Cali and want to know if it's worth it? THanks
Old 06-04-2007, 02:04 PM
CoolAid
3rd Gear Member

I find my operating temperature by using the digital dash trick. It will show you motor temp. in celcius/centegrade. Take that number and x 1.8 + 32 = 'F. Example: 89'C x 1.8+32 = 192.2'F
Old 06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
jpmustanggt
5th Gear Member

So the point of this mod is to be able to turn your fan on when you want to cool the engine?
Old 06-04-2007, 06:44 PM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CoolAid

Sweet tell me what parts you used and where you got em please. Did you use a write up? Whats involved?

sxynerd: The point of this mod can be found by coming down to Firebird Raceway in Phoenix and running over 212'F idleing waiting to stage a blazing hot motor. The other sucky thing about our cars is ofcourse when you shut the motor down to let it cool off the fan does not come on when you cycle back to "ON". You have to have the motor running for the fan to work which kicks the whole cool down purpose right in the ****.
DIRECTIONS

Cooling the 4.6 Mustang with a Fan Switch

Unfortunately our Cobras and GTs DO run hot. There are a few ways to cool it. If it is a 96 Cobra you can try and get Ford to do the TSB cooling upgrade which will help, but the downside is that a bigger rad (should you ever desire one) will no longer fit. Of course you could just drop in a Griffin, and be done with it. But should funds not be available …… read on.

This modification can be done in about 20 minutes and costs next to nothing. When used, it will lower your operating temperature approximately 1 to 1.5 letters on the “Normal” gauge. All that is involved is to wire in a ground for the high-speed fan relay and switch it so that you can turn it on anytime you want, and leave it on if so desired! This mod I did last summer, and it WORKS LIKE A CHARM.

THE MOD:

Pull the passenger kick panel and locate the LIGHT-GREEN wire with the purple stripe. NOTE: There IS a dark-green one on the Cobra….(wrong one - it's a knock sensor wire). Anyway......once you have located this wire....which will be grouped with a bunch of other wires running from the EEC up the back of the fire-wall - hard to find, but it’s there......(very difficult to get to - Yoga helps).....tap into this wire (don't cut it in 2, just tap into it) and then solder it back up and tape it nicely. Then to test it quickly turn your key on to cycle, and touch the other end of the wire to the ground bolt (also under the kick panel). You will hear the fan turn on....YEY. Now, you are NOT done yet! Wire in a 1/2 amp in-line fuse holder with fuse (safety reasons - no other purpose) and then continue this wire to a switch and ground the other side of the switch. You are all set! Kenny Brown sells this package for quite a bit and they give you a switch that goes in the glove box. You could put it there if you want. I have a coupe, so I purchased an additional Fog-light switch and installed it in place of the coin holder. It's nice and neat and accessible.

Grounding this particular wire simply closes the high-speed fan relay and turns on the fan!

HOPE THIS HELPS

all of these piece's can be found at auto zone. it cost me $30 all together with the 180 stat.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:22 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

Sounds like something I might do. How fast does it drain your battery though? I don't want to not be able to crank the car b/c I let it cool off for about 5 minutes...
Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 AM
BADSEED
3rd Gear Member

With a stock battery, it might drain, but I have a yellow-top. I leave it for like five minutes and there's no problem.

Quick Reply: Put my 180 stat and fan relay mod in?