4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

I need help, massive coolant leak behind alternator.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 03:25 AM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Default RE: I need help, massive coolant leak behind alternator.

Thanks, I'll do that first thing in the morning, if that fails to Ebay I go. You have been a ton of help and I really do appreciate it. Though I have a feeling this topic is not dead yet, I will most certainly have plenty more questions.
Old 06-04-2007, 03:31 AM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

I still keep hoping it's something else... Though I have no idea what it could be or how the hell I could figure it out. Ugh I hate buying new cars.
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 AM
SINISTER
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Lanzar

Do I dare run the car with no alternator on it? When I run it with the alternator on it seriously looks like a little green waterfall right behind the alternator coming from up above. It scares me.
You definitely have a crack in the intake manifold. Like said above, you can get a new one with the aluminum crossover (supposed to keep this from happening, but the same thing happened on my 03) off eBay for around $200. Mine broke a while back, and I replaced it with the Typhoon intake. The installation is very simple and straight forward, if you end up doing it yourself.
Old 06-04-2007, 09:52 AM
HOLLYWOOD99
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Then it is for sure the crossover. Sorry. Try taking it the the dealer and make them fix it under the TSB
https://mustangforums.com/recalls-an...d_0222/TSB.htm

I went through this a few weeks back... Depending on the year of your car mine was a 2000 the ford "plan" as they call it is only good from seven years after the factory warantee was enacted.. wich means mine was set in place Oct 16, 2000 - the plan for this repair on my car is only good untill Oct 16, 2007. I was told this directily from ford coustomer service in detroit...

The only reason i took it that far was because, (some) of the a$$ dealerships in town wouldent honor the repair ...

Good luck man call ford and get the skinny.... i dunno about them paying for the tow.. (they wouldent for mine)
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM
Mustanggt9589
3rd Gear Member

Ya i agree call the dealer and don't take no for an answer. I had my stang for like 3 weeks before a sensor in the intake went bad and my car would take 3 or 4trieson a warm start before it would kick over. I called they said no your problem, so i threatened to take the car back and what do you know it was in the shop getting fixed the next day. You just have to be tough with these people.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:44 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Well since my 7 years was past I did get shot down by the dealer no matter how much I tried to argue, but they want $735.12 for the part lol so I ordered one off Ebay making sure it had the aluminum crossover, guess it'll show up in about 3days so I know what I'm doing this weekend

On the bright side $194 is better than $735
Old 06-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

Damn part is still not here :-(
Old 06-10-2007, 03:55 AM
kylebgt
3rd Gear Member

Shoulda gone through americanmuscle.com Sorry for your misfortune, mustangs are really reliable, there are only a couple problem spots on the 4.6's and you got stuck with one of the biggest ones. Good luck with the install and make sure to check back in, let us know how tough it was.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: oxfordgt

Time to get a new intake with an aluminum crossover. Check ebay you can get one for around $200.
+1

BTW, driving home as fast as you can with steam coming out of the hood is generally a bad idea.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Lanzar
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: kylebgt

Shoulda gone through americanmuscle.com Sorry for your misfortune, mustangs are really reliable, there are only a couple problem spots on the 4.6's and you got stuck with one of the biggest ones. Good luck with the install and make sure to check back in, let us know how tough it was.
What are the other problem spots, anything I should look for while I have the engine dismantled (other than cracked/worn hoses and the other obvious ones)?

Quick Reply: I need help, massive coolant leak behind alternator.