4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

sway bar

Old 06-05-2007, 01:51 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

Default sway bar

im plannin on headin to the strip next week, and was wondering if removing the front swaybar would help with weight transfer, im tryin to break into the 13's for the first time, last time i ran a best of 14.4 with a 2.3 60'[:'(] but i got some new mods so im doin everything i can to help
Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Default RE: sway bar

Yes it will help with weight transfer. If you have lowering springs then removing the sway bar won make much of a difference since the springs are to stiff and wont allow weight transfer.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:54 AM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

Ive heard mention of it being taken off for drag racing. I can only see it helping with really bad chassis twist, or really minor weight reduction. All sway bars do, is make your left and right wheel do the same thing. In an offraod car, taking it off allows for more articulation. IN a drag car, if the chassis twisted a ton, maybe it would keep 1 wheel on the ground better? other than that, and about a 10 pound weight reduction, its not worth the hastle.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:57 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

Ive heard mention of it being taken off for drag racing. I can only see it helping with really bad chassis twist, or really minor weight reduction. All sway bars do, is make your left and right wheel do the same thing. In an offraod car, taking it off allows for more articulation. IN a drag car, if the chassis twisted a ton, maybe it would keep 1 wheel on the ground better? other than that, and about a 10 pound weight reduction, its not worth the hastle.
Your wrong. Removing the sway bar allows for more suspension travel and allows the front end to come up faster.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:00 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

thanks for the responses, i'll give it a shot, i have all stock suspension and my dad is gunna go with his truck (not goin down the track) so i'll have him bring tools, im gunna remove pass. seat, rear seat, and jack/spare
Old 06-05-2007, 02:01 AM
ajmodelski
2nd Gear Member

How does it make it come up faster? I'm not saying your wrong, i'm just curious. I guess it would alow your one side to come up faster than then other there by putting more force on the back? That is the best I can come up with. Did you pull yours off?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:40 AM
1BadSonicBlue02GT
4th Gear Member

it doesnt do anything faster. It allows for full travel of the front suspension. the shocks and spring will unload as much as possible. whereas with the sway bar it stops before it has completely released. in other words the gap between the tire and wheel well will be larger without a swaybar thus creating weight transfer to the rear. It doesnt help alot, but if your havin trouble with traction then you'll notice a ton
Old 06-05-2007, 02:54 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1BadSonicBlue02GT

it doesnt do anything faster. It allows for full travel of the front suspension. the shocks and spring will unload as much as possible. whereas with the sway bar it stops before it has completely released. in other words the gap between the tire and wheel well will be larger without a swaybar thus creating weight transfer to the rear. It doesnt help alot, but if your havin trouble with traction then you'll notice a ton
this is what i was lookin for
Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 AM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ajmodelski

How does it make it come up faster? I'm not saying your wrong, i'm just curious. I guess it would alow your one side to come up faster than then other there by putting more force on the back? That is the best I can come up with. Did you pull yours off?
Your sway bar rides inside of unlubed rubber bushings. That resistance will slow the rise of the front end.
I haven't had mine on in over a year but I have coilovers so it is safe for me to run with out it. If you have stock suspension then only disconnect it for the track.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 AM
willyd465
3rd Gear Member

thats what i was gunna do, take it off right before i left and put it on right when i get home, i think itd be alright on the way there, its only like 20-30 minute drive through back roads. think it would be safe if i was careful? or should i wait until i got to the track to take it off?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sway bar