4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Bullitt Susp. Kit + SLP Cat Xpipe? Low?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 08:26 AM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Bullitt Susp. Kit + SLP Cat Xpipe? Low?

Right from your supplied site:

control arm bushings can be replaced with solid polyurethane bushings or spherical bearings. Hard bushings/bearings eliminate wheel hop, reduce axle deflection, and improve rear end grip. The downside of solid poly bushings is that they prevent the necessary movement of control arms during body roll, which in turn produces significant suspension bind in turns. Spherical bearings do a better (but still imperfect) job of handling control arm motion during turns. And they also tend to transmit a lot of road noise and vibration into the car.
Right there is tell you what you need to know, installing stiffer bushings (or just replacing the entire UCA with a aftermarket one + stiffer bushings) will reduce wheelhop and increase traction at the expense of reducing maximum availble handling traction. As personal experence has shown (both my own and MANY others) this slight loss of traction is almost nonexistant on the street. The tires and other suspenesion componets will create a loss of traction before the aftermarket UCA even comes into the picture.

Griggs etc are not drag racing companys, they are autocross companys, building componets to make the car handle better. However, unless your either into autocross and set the car up specifically for that or simply have a death wish on open public roads its not a concern. Even with what is bascially a drag racing specfic setup (on the springs anyway) my car still handles about x10 better than it did before. The local website I frequent has several cruises a year thru the very twisty and hilly areas here in mid missouri (2 lane backroads, you get the idea). It was frankly scary to try and keep up before doing the suspension install (420 WHP and a bone stock suspension is not a good combo on a twisty road). The last cruise it simply wasn't a problem, I was hanging with modified STI, the local vette, 03 cobra, neighbors supra etc etc with ease.

Like it or not, aftermarket UCAs WILL improve launch. Its not like I am alone on this, go ask code3 how much he spent for his double adjustable setup, its just a fact of life.