4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So what should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 PM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

Default RE: So what should I do first?

Here is a little list that I would recommend, but its just my own opinion...

CAI - Only if you plan on going forced Induced (ex. procharger, KB, etc.) If you just plan to stay Naturally Aspired... then just drop a K&N in there and be done with it.

Gears - Doesn't add horsepower, but you can feel a big difference. 3.73's are good, as well as 4.10's.

Midpipe & Catback - Still doesn't add much horsepower, but will make it sound much much better. There is a sticky in the Tech articles in this section that has exhaust soundclips in them... I made the thread so check that out if you wanna get a good sample of what some combinations sound like.

Headers - They will give a little bit of horsepower, but they can be quite expensive. Good modto get if your budget can handle it.

Short Throw Shifter - Just makes shifting much much better if you have a manual. Shortens up the throw and puts the shifter in a more comfortable location. MGW is very popular... as is Steeda, Pro 5.0.

Tune - You can get a hand held tuner and get your car on the dyno to get a custom tune that will maximize yourcars potential. You still wont see a huge gain in this, but it does help. If you do go with FI, this becomes very important.

Springs - Gets ride of the really high ride height that mustangs have. Lots of good info on which springs you wanna choose from.

Thats just a quick rundown. That should get you a pretty nice start tho.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:02 AM
Wagnbat

Thanks for the good suggestions & explanations goldeneagle_10.

I've got a SSK in my Mini, and I love it. The wife will be driving the stang mostly, so I don't know if she'd like the throw shorter. I'll let her learn on the standard, and see how it goes from there. Anyone know if shorter people appreciate the SSK over stock? I'm 6'1 and have a decent reach, so the stock throw doesnt bother me... But the wife is 5', so this could sway the decision.

Opinions on the gearing, if never taking the car above 60mph? Honestly, the speed limit here on Guam is 45 at the maximum, and that's only on 2 small strips of road (both of which are less than 2 miles long). I don't plan on tracking the car for anything more than a driving school... Not even autocross... But I am looking forward to a small boost in performance and gas mileage, as well as being able to hear the V8 rumble.

Sounds like I'll definitely go with a K&N drop in filter... Now will just have to decide on which exhaust/headers to go with... Something with a factory look, but a mean sound...

As for the tune, I'll likely consider that if I end up driving the car more than I believe I'm going to be now. I'll likely commute in the Mini (as modded as it may be), and drive the stang on the weekends. If I end up driving the stang more often, I'll probably go for the tune & springs or coilovers.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:51 PM
rainydayracing
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Wagnbat
Wow... So there's a good consensus that there CAI's are of little help? What about combined with a full exhaust?
+1 - yes. Do the K & N with air silencer removal. The best advice I had was to figure out where you want to be in the end before you start modding. Example, if you go s/c, then this impacts what gears you'd get, etc..

Personally, I started with the exhaust b/c it gives some power, but I wanted the SOUND!

Welcome to the fourms.