4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

So what should I do first?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:58 AM
Wagnbat

Default So what should I do first?

Well, for my background, see the new members forum (the hello from guam thread) and you can read a bit of my history and why I'm now a mustang GT owner.

Aside from that, I'm curious what the best first steps are... I'm thinking a CAI for sure, but which one? I live in a hot humid sub-tropical enviornment, and I've never owned a sporty V8 before... I have some experience with mods on my other car, and on that one as well a CAI is the commonly acknowledged best starting point. Any recommended CAI's for any reason?

Also, what's the best next step for a bone stock GT which will not be tracked... But would still like a healthy boost in streetable power...
Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 AM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: So what should I do first?

If you have the money, skip the CAI and get longtube headers. CAI's really don't add that much. If you do get a CAI, JLT and C&L are good selections. DO NOT get a kit that has chrome tubes. Those are worse than the stock pieces due to heat-soak. If you remove the air silencer, it will have the same effect as a CAI kit, but will save you some money
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
Wagnbat

What are long tube headers? Do they have cats, or does that go after the headers? I've not figured all that out yet. On my other car, you have the headers with a built in cat, and then the catback... But it seems with the GT there's 3 pieces, ya? The headers, the H pipe (cats?), and the catback?
Old 06-05-2007, 11:37 AM
xcodegt
3rd Gear Member

There are 3 pieces: the heades, the midpipe (which has/doesn't have the cats), and the cat-back.
Longtube headers are a form of header that utilizes longer tubes than a stock or shorty-style header to capitalize on horsepower gains found from better exhaust flow. The gains are greater than "shorty-style" headers, but ground clearance is lost due to the collector portion relocating to under the floor pans.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:11 PM
99shadowGT
2nd Gear Member

if you're looking for immediate "power" w/o many other mod's i would suggest gears. they will greatly help boost your acceleration. the typical course of mods are something like exhaust, shifter, bolt-ons, gears, suspension upgrades..if you're looking to stay n/a gears, suspsension and some bolt-ons are your best bet...bolt-ons on a n/a 2v IMOis wasted moneybut decide for yourself...good luck with the new stang!!!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 99shadowGT

if you're looking for immediate "power" w/o many other mod's i would suggest gears. they will greatly help boost your acceleration. the typical course of mods are something like exhaust, shifter, bolt-ons, gears, suspension upgrades..if you're looking to stay n/a gears, suspsension and some bolt-ons are your best bet...bolt-ons on a n/a 2v IMOis wasted moneybut decide for yourself...good luck with the new stang!!!
Gears add no power what soever
Old 06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
99shadowGT
2nd Gear Member

that's whay it says "power" in quotations...immediate acceleration w/o adding hp numbers... if you want to talk about the "power" you gain from gears or the hp you gain from lets say a cai...cai=1/2 maybe 1hp...gears=no hp numbers but a hell of alot more get up and go!!! spend your money wisely
Old 06-06-2007, 10:08 AM
Wagnbat

Wow... So there's a good consensus that there CAI's are of little help? What about combined with a full exhaust?
Old 06-06-2007, 01:44 PM
richblack02gt

I would go with a CAI as the first mod, just because it will get you used to the whole process of modding. Its a quick bolt on thats "supposed to" give you about 10 hp. I personally think it sounds nice too. Then some exhaust work after that. Its all about what you want out of your car, thats the most important thing. I'm big into how the car sounds and a little less into how much power I have(I'm not really racing people, sometimes just for the hell of it,or running track times) Thats why I opted for a CAI and then a catback. Next I'm going for headers and an offroad H pipe (CT emissions are lienent.)

But if you want either power or a nice sound, go with the exhaust definately as one of your first.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:25 PM
SVTBill
5th Gear Member

i would not recommend a CAI as a starting point

just buy a k&n filter - save yourself some money

i'd get an exhaust first, some aftermarket mid pipe and mufflers, doesnt really matter which one, they'll will all give about the same amount of hp (almost none) the only difference is sound

after that i'd get gears and a tune

oh if you're standard get a short throw first