4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

THROW-OUT BEARING

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM
Adams_02GT
3rd Gear Member

Default THROW-OUT BEARING

Ok, so this **** is getting old....My throw-out bearing is making the squeeks again. If I replace it, it will have been the 3rd time in 2 years. What the f*ck make it go to **** so quick? If i were mechanicly inclined I would do it myself, but I don't know how. My check engine light is always freakin on, and now there is a rattling noise in the engine too. I take care of my car. It's garage kept, I keep up with all the oil change and basic **** that I can do. It might be time for a new car.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:05 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

Default RE: THROW-OUT BEARING

Replae the throw out bearing and the throw out bearing retainer. The throw out bearing retainer is the shaft that the TOB rides on. This fixed mine. Most people don't think about it.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:47 PM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Some shops don't know what they are doing & just replace the bearing & not the retainer. I believe there is a company that offers a stronger than stock TOB & Retainer. I know you can get one for a T-56...

What is your car throwing for a code? Since it's always on, have you ever pulled the code?What steps have you taken to determine the rattle is something internal?

Don't get yourself too down on the car, there is plenty of things that can rattle & make noise around the engine.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:54 PM
joeybutts
4th Gear Member

stop at advanced and get it pulled. It won't tell you exactly but you can narrow it down.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:09 PM
Fryguy22
4th Gear Member

yea don't get discouraged... I was getting to that point to but after a month of work it was finally fixed and it drives better than ever..
Old 06-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Ryan86272
5th Gear Member

Im Feeling yah!!! my TOB is Squeeling like CRAZY!! (some kid as if I had a S/c LMAO) but Keep ur head up!!!! If yah Lived in Fla Id help yah with it..........ROAD TRIP
Old 06-05-2007, 07:39 PM
Adams_02GT
3rd Gear Member

Well the rattaling only comes when I start to drive. I can here when I slowly roll by a wall and here the sound from the engine (hopefully you know what Im talking about). Oh I have no idea what the code is for, I belive what I was told....was that it was the gas cap was not screwed on....ok. Its on as tight as it goes. Trust me, I love my car don't get me wrong, but it seems like all the little things are starting to happen all at once! Hell my cd changer broke a couple of weeks ago, and then my front left speaker goes out.....WTF! I just need to get everything up to bar and then buy a beater DD. Never let the stang leave the garage! Except for weekends.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:40 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

CD players are cheap and eays, same with the speaker.

As for the engine noise, take a long screw driver and put the handle end to your ear. Try to find the noise.

That noise could be anything from a loose exhaust hanger, heat shield to an exhaust leakk. Don't automatically assume the worst...
Old 06-06-2007, 02:47 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Dan04COBRA

CD players are cheap and eays, same with the speaker.

As for the engine noise, take a long screw driver and put the handle end to your ear. Try to find the noise.

That noise could be anything from a loose exhaust hanger, heat shield to an exhaust leakk. Don't automatically assume the worst...
+1, not to mention it may not even be engine related at all. The fact you hear it when you're up against a wall could be an easy suspension/bearing/brake fix.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM
jjw88mustang
2nd Gear Member

Is the throw out bearing retainer the same as what i might think of as the clutch fork or where is it located i am having the same problems?

Quick Reply: THROW-OUT BEARING