4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Poss. Stupid Question. Car Sluggish with Trac. OFF

Old 06-10-2007, 02:11 AM
ferant316
1st Gear Member

Default Poss. Stupid Question. Car Sluggish with Trac. OFF

So this may be a stupid question, but I've only had the car for a little over a week and have no owners guide (yet, I bought one.) I only recently started pressing the Traction Button on startup so it displays "OFF", and when I do the car feels more sluggish. I know the Traction Control works by minimalizing engine torque and applying rear brakes to prevent wheelspin, so the car should feel sluggish with Traction Control ON correct?

So I guess the question would be am I an idiot and when the button displays "Traction" (default on start up) you PRESS the button to turn on traction, and thus when it displays "Traction OFF" (after pressing on start up) you press it to turn traction off? If not what would the other reasons be for it feeling sluggish with Trac Off? It will not chirp tires with Trac Off and falls on it's *** from 2000-2500 RPMS in 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:35 AM
97modifiedmustangGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Poss. Stupid Question. Car Sluggish with Trac. OFF

I got a little confused but on startup traction control is always on. When you press the button the little light comes on which means it is traction is turned off. I think that is what you were asking
Old 06-10-2007, 02:45 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

lol, try flooring it in the rain with t/c off (light on) and t/c on(light off) and it will be clear which one makes the car "sluggish"

but idk why your car feels sluggish, you got used to the power?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:52 AM
ferant316
1st Gear Member

Ok so it is like I thought, starts up with traction control on. And it's not getting used to the power, I tested it 0-50 with Traction control ON, pulled over than 0-50 with Traction control OFF. Much more power with it ON, it felt like it took twice as long to get from 2000-2500 RPMs with it OFF. Quite bizarre isn't it? I was thinking of picking up plugs and wires, thought maybe running with full power with traction off is making it missfire? Tuneup on a new car can never hurt.
Old 06-10-2007, 04:49 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

very wierd. all that little button is doing is tell the PCM not to retard timing and to not hit the breaks when wheelspin is detected. there should be no other change.

when T/C is on and you spin out, does your dash have the little wheel with smoke symbol lit up?

someone may have custom tuned your car before you bought it. a common mod is to turn T/C off all the time. So you could be turning on the car and already have T/C off. Then when you hit the button, you are actually turning T/C on. T/C on sucks big donkey b*lls. It almost feels like the car is in Limp mode.

do a burnout with the T/C in both positions. You should only be able to do it with the T/C off. The second T/C detects wheelspin, it'll cut power and you'll feel the brakes.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:49 PM
ferant316
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Tylus

when T/C is on and you spin out, does your dash have the little wheel with smoke symbol lit up?

someone may have custom tuned your car before you bought it. a common mod is to turn T/C off all the time. So you could be turning on the car and already have T/C off. Then when you hit the button, you are actually turning T/C on. T/C on sucks big donkey b*lls. It almost feels like the car is in Limp mode.

do a burnout with the T/C in both positions. You should only be able to do it with the T/C off. The second T/C detects wheelspin, it'll cut power and you'll feel the brakes.
I've noticed the wheel light in the dash come up on startup, not sure about otherwise. Does it only come on when it prevents you from spinning out?

The 2 previous owners of the car were old ladies, so I doubt they'd custom tune it. Don't really want to roast my tires with a burnout, but I'll try launching hard for wheelspin.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

when T/C is on and you do a burnout, the wheel light on the dash will light up and the engine will cut power while the rear brakes are grabbing.

when T/C is off, nothing will light up and you can burnout as long as your car is able.

your tires will be fine for a 5 second burnout to figure out what is going on...trust me on this.