4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

my wife is pissed

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 07:54 PM
diesel boy

Default my wife is pissed

Hi i'm new here and would like some help
my wife is PO'ed b/c i'm spending $ modding my truck, and not her car, so i guess i'll have to give her car equal $, attention.
1st she is complaining about wheel hop, and the *** end jumping around when flooring it, what do i need, control arms, traction bars????
Next mod will be the exhaust, but can't afford to all at once, would like to eventually get LT headers, o/r X or H pipe, then ?? Where do I start? will be leaving headers till later. Can I install this stuff one piece at a time, then add as $ allow. what i mean is can i install new muff, then later add x pipe, then later buy headers w/o buying additional pieces, or will i buy now and then remove when i upgrade? I'm on a budget, my diesel takes most of my$$, hopefully someday it will out run the wifes car. Then she will make me upgrade her car so she wins.
TIA
Old 01-04-2005, 08:01 PM
mdvaldosta
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: my wife is pissed

Get subframe connectors and lower control arms at first, that will help plant the tires without wheelhop and keep the car squeek free in the upcoming years.

For the exhaust - go ahead and get a nice cat-back but wait to do the mid-pipe and headers at once since your planning on longtubes (whch require their own length mid-pipe to match). As you probably know gears would be a high performance improver for her, so don't forget about that. For 5sp cars 4.10's are the way to go - but will need a chip / programmer / or speedcal to fix the speedo after a gear change.

Good luck with her mods dude, gotta keep the wifey happy or she'll make you unhappy
Old 01-04-2005, 08:03 PM
vshayes
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: mdvaldosta

Get subframe connectors and lower control arms at first, that will help plant the tires without wheelhop and keep the car squeek free in the upcoming years.

For the exhaust - go ahead and get a nice cat-back but wait to do the mid-pipe and headers at once since your planning on longtubes (whch require their own length mid-pipe to match). As you probably know gears would be a high performance improver for her, so don't forget about that. For 5sp cars 4.10's are the way to go - but will need a chip / programmer / or speedcal to fix the speedo after a gear change.

Good luck with her mods dude, gotta keep the wifey happy or she'll make you unhappy
he would know!
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 PM
DILO2001GT
I ♥ Acer

lol
Old 01-04-2005, 08:20 PM
diesel boy

thanks md, are shorty headers worth it or am a just wasting my $.
also on my diesel there are several 'secret' mods that were free, you just need to know which bolt to turn, etc. I gained ?10? hp for free, is there any thing in the 4.6 like this?
Old 01-04-2005, 08:56 PM
jdaniel
I ♥ Acer

If you compare the shorties to the stockers that are currently installed, there isnt mich of a difference at all. Go LT's or nothing (unless you can get the shorties for free) LOL The only problem with LT headers is they are a biatch to get in and if you need any tranny work done suck as a clutch for a manual or a rebuild on an auto then one side or the other has to be unbolted to get the tranny out.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:43 PM
diesel boy

can i buy flowmaster balance pipe kit, and a hacksaw, and DIY an off road h pipe
Old 01-07-2005, 01:02 AM
OUZBnd
3rd Gear Member

everyone is gonna tell you shorties arn't worth it. I disagree. They will give you some decent horsepower gains, about as much as any other bolt on. At any rate, you will drop a good bit of weight
Old 01-07-2005, 02:04 AM
Dan04COBRA
Super Moderator

Compare the wannabe manifold collectors to the wannabe shortie header collector (if you can even call it that), but the shortie by far owns the manifold, you'll drop a good amount of weight.

IMO, from everything I've read up on the subject, long tubes aren't such a neccessity over shorties unless you are going for a 400RWHP car. Ultimately, LT's are the best thing you could bolt-on, but they aren't for everyone.

Making your own midpipe = no good. Just hold out until you do the LT's, or just go with shorties and buy a normal midpipe.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:20 AM
GSXRIntensity
4th Gear Member

Far as wheel hop is concerned, I'd go w/my doing both the upper & lower control arms, & then dealing w/full lenght subframe connectors.

Regarding the headers...screw shorties...get the BASSANI MID-LENGTHS!!!! For real, you don't want to go through all the hassle of a header install just for shorties. Get the mids, or LT's!!!

Dan...what's the heads up on the new ride? Decide you get the Mach 1 or what!

Quick Reply: my wife is pissed