4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

choosing new Cat Back

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

Default RE: choosing new Cat Back

I have an slp catted x pipe and slp catback. I originally had lmII's but they were a bit too quiet, so I just swapped to lmI's this morning, took 15 mins of unbolting and rebolting (I love the modular setup). The LMI's are loud as hell when I'm on the gas ~ 2.5k rpms, but when I'm coasting or cruising in overdrive the car sounds quietter and on the freeway my sister and nephew that was in the backseat said the lmI's seemed to drone a bit less than the lmII's. Don't know if this helps but if you want a head turner when you wanna get noticed get the lmI's and if you want something in the middle of the road that will turn heads at wot but quiet all the way up till 3k-3.5k rpms then LMII's are good. If you want quiet go with the powerflow's, when I get sick of this setup I may try out the powerflow mufflers.

SLP catbacks are modular so you can swap any of the 3 types of mufflers in and out and have no worries about fitment issues, it takes 15 mins at the most to do it. It took longer for me because I had problems getting my friends lift arms under the car=P. They are also made of SS and are pretty damn good in quality, I'm about 2" off the ground and scrape like a mad man when there are people in the car, the system has put up with the abuse just fine.

Interesting little tidbit... I got bored while at my friends shop and stuck the lmII's into the tailpipes after we took the car off the lift. It sounded reaaaaaaaalllly good with the lmI resonators and the lmII's shoved in the tips.. lols it looked like I had one of those fart cans tho^^
Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Gar4pt6
4th Gear Member

im suprised nobody has mentioned mustangexhaust.com ...they have sound clips catagorized by the different mustangsand forums as well
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 PM
powerfreak
1st Gear Member

Check out spintech...IMO, the best sounding mufflers hands down. Next time I buy an exhuast system, I will buy Spintechs.

THAT BEING SAID....I have a bassani catback, with o/r H pipe...I sounds good, pretty load when you get on it, but not too bad at idle. If they were aluminized originally it didn't last, they are rusted now. aluminized pipes are good if your car lives in the garage...if you drive it a lot you'll get some surface rust sooner or later.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Dallas01GT

I just got the full Bassani setup, X pipes and Cat Backs on my 01 GT. I am very pleased with the sound. At Idle its not noticable at all until you press the gas ever so slightly then you and everyone around you knows that you have after market pipes. You get the full roar around 2000 to 2400 rpms this is a deep bass and really makes you giddy. After 2400 it goes more into a higher pitch sound like a racer car you seein a Forumla 1 race.

Its all about preference. I like the deep roar and the higher pitch race sound when I lay on the gas so I ride around with a smile on my face. I have read many threads and the opinions vary as much in taste in women but I would go with what everyone has said. Check out the sound clips and see what makes your underwear stretch a little thin.
Old 06-14-2007, 03:11 PM
undecided.steve
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: II 98 GT II

I did a lot of looking through soundclips and I think I found what I wanted with a magnaflow c/b (paired with an o/r prochamber). Packages should start arriving tomorrow.
[sm=happybounce.gif]Hopefully I'll like the sound.

My advice is go to streetfire, youtube, or anywhere else you can find some soundclips and do some research that way. Otherwise, ALL you will get is opinions, totally subjective. Find what YOU like.
I have the Magnaflow CB system with the stock H-pipe and I love it.
If you like the deep muscle car sound, that's the system for you.
The Prochamber is going to give you more volume than the stock and will also be a bit deeper as well.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:20 PM
04BlueGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Mustang_NTriangle

Magnaflow stainless would run you about $460 shipped on ebay I have a different setup but was torn between Magnapacks and Steeda an opted for Steeda so it would not be as loud but have nice sound and quality. I got Steeda today for $535 shipped from American Muscle.
If you want magnaflow, then go to completeexhaust.com and call them! Tell the man you are a member of this forum and you'll get a discount. I got the cat back and catted x delivered for $765. I think the cat back was $325 delivered.