4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Please help because I must be retarded...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 02:43 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Please help because I must be retarded...

ORIGINAL: 00vertableGT

I have the impact wrench, I bought the wrong pulley puller, that's why I stopped. Has everyone that has done this taken off the belt before the instalation? None of the instructions I have seen have said to do this. Sorry to sound like I want someon to do this for me; it is quite the opposite, I like the feeling of accomplishment I get from doing the job myself. It is just a little frustrating because everything I saw online before I bought the pulleys looked and sounded like a no-brainer install and I am running into the opposite (as usually happens with any mod). It may be a bit taboo; but I owned a SS 2000 camaro a few years ago and did a few mods to it myself no problem, yet I am running into little problems here already. I'm just gonna call today a bust and try to focus on getting it done this weekend. My Mach 1 grill delete should be here on Friday so hopefully I can get it done with one pop of the hood. I really do appreciate everyone's input and sorry for sounding like some sort of an un-mechanical wuss...
Hey, welcome to the forums.

Are you trying to use an air ratchet or an impact gun?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:02 AM
00vertableGT

I'm gonna sound dumb LetThePonniesRideFree, but I don't really know the diff. I went to my dad's house where he has an air compressor and asked if he had an impact wrench, He said yes, and handed me what by my limited knowledge I would say was more of a air ratchet. This better give my car like 294375289347 horsepower. Thanks again to everyone that has tried to help me thus far. I am ready to increase my offer to a 24 pack of beer of choice, plus an extened ride around the tri-cities area in my convertible once we finish the installation this weekend...any takers??????
Old 06-13-2007, 03:14 AM
LetThePoniesRunFree
3rd Gear Member

As much as I would love to shoot a cruise up to the bay area, at 17mpg and 3 hours away I can't swing it. This may help you.....

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/pull1.htm

Edit: the powers that be here blocked that URL. Replace the **** with "mustangworld"
Old 06-13-2007, 03:18 AM
POISND U
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mylongvictor

I had the Ford dealership do mine. They charged me 100 dollars for the job. Which I thought was kinda lame but they milked that labor charge. I sat and watched them do it and I know they loosened up the belt with the toolbefore they touched anything else. And then they insisted on dropping the motor from out underneath the car which again i though was kinda goofy.... but they said it made life easier on them. I guess.

All in all, if you can't figure it out, take it to a shop that knows how to do the work and garrentees there service. For those of us that are not mechanical experts, its a hit and miss. I know I can change my oil and tranny fluid with my eyes closed. I can do CAI, TB, Intake manifolds, fuel injectors, and a few other minor things here and there..... But ask me how to install an NX kit, or even a 5 point seat harness, I have a dumbfound look on my face saying.... Uhhhhhhh..... WTF?
Drop the motor? Move the fan shroud? Wtf? I put the car in 5th gearand took the crank pulley off with a 1/2' breaker bar and a pipe.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:55 AM
Aereon
5th Gear Member

I live in the sf bay area and did the pulley swap with my old sixer, you definately have an air ratchet if you can't zip it off, I dont know if the pulley puller for the sixer matches the one for the gt but if they do, your welcome to take mine for free since I am not gonna do pulleys with the gt. When I did it, I took the fan and the resevoir out, hardest part about install that makes me not want to do it again was tapping that summaitch in evenly. limited space/rubber hammer/no leverage/ and about 20 mins of swearing sums up installation of the pulley after you take it out.

Good luck, I'm stuck with both my jobs all of this week and nextweek summer school at city starts up, so I dunno if I can be much of a help to you, I do work as a bookkeeper at a shop if your fed up with trying to do it yourself tho.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:37 AM
00vertableGT

Thanks again everyone for your replies. I am looking at my posts today and I am like WTF was I talking about?? I had a little to drink before posting last night. Poisnd U brought something very important to my attention, I had the car in neutral so that would explain why the crank pulley was spinning freeley while I was trying to remove the nut. I'm just gonna go get the right pulley puller and some patience and really go to it this weekend. I'll let you guys know how it works out...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:49 PM
Sxynerd
6th Gear Member

Hope you get the gains you want.... I'm not gonna bother with that mod cuase for only like 8hp I can't imagine spending the dough. Maybe an electric water pump as christmas gift or something but not underdrives.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:57 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Jeebus christ people...stop!!

First off..this is an impact gun

and this is an air rachet

Not the same thing. You'll be lucky to get the alt pulley or any pully off with an air rachet. They max out on TQ at around 80ft/lbs if that. They're meant for regular nuts and bolts and don't have the oomph to break most pulley bolts loose.

Impact wrench can go upwards of 300ft/lbs or more for really expensive ones. Use an impact wrench and have a friend hold the alt pulley. Give the nut a couple of 3-4 seconds 'hits' with the gun to pop it loose. If you just hold onto the trigger you'll just spin it. It's not rocket science.