4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Installed MGW: problem=[

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 AM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

Default Installed MGW: problem=[

saturday i installed an mgw shifter in my 03 gt and i think something is wrong. when i shift from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd i can't get it in smoothly. it'll come out alright but then get stuck in neutral and i have to force it into gear. when i get it ingear makes a "clunk" noise. it made this noise before i had my mgwand i think it came from ford like that[:@]did i mess up the install or is there a break in time?
Old 06-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Shawn02GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installed MGW: problem=[

sounds more like a tranny issue, have you seen the TR3650 TSB?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:10 AM
mvr
6th Gear Member

did you leave the stops in?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 AM
Jaybird79
4th Gear Member

Did you put the little black cup from the stock shifter on the bottom on the MGW?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:57 AM
PushinTheLimit
5th Gear Member

To me, this sounds pretty normal... the MGW can be a lil stiff when you first install it. Sometimes going into gear it takes a little extra effort than it did with the stocker. Give it about 500 miles and as long as nothing is wrong with your transmission, the MGW will loosen up and should start shifting pretty effortlessly. Just give it a lil time.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:14 AM
OzzDOA
3rd Gear Member

The MGW does seem to need a "break in" period after you first install it. Have you tried adjusting the position of the shifter handle? I have mine at about a 7 'clock position after fiddling with it to get the best feel. I know changing that made the shifter feel a lot smoother.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:19 AM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

Shawn02GT i remember seeing the tsb's but i don't remember what they were about. do you have a link for them?

mvr i took the stops out and followed the directions perfectly

Jaybird79 i put the little black cup on the end of the shifter before i installed it.

goldeneagle_10 i hope you're right

Old 06-13-2007, 11:22 AM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: OzzDOA

The MGW does seem to need a "break in" period after you first install it. Have you tried adjusting the position of the shifter handle? I have mine at about a 7 'clock position after fiddling with it to get the best feel. I know changing that made the shifter feel a lot smoother.
i have mine at about 7 'oclock too. i haven't adjusted the handle yet. i'll try that sometime today.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:24 AM
AJ06GT
5th Gear Member

That definitely sounds like more than just break in though. I'd say it's your transmission. Any chance you are shifting faster now and it's just that now you're noticing it? I know my transmission is slow (still not sure if it's just like that or if it's near rebuild time) if I shift too fast. Try giving it a little gas and see if it goes in smoother. (is smoother a word?[&:])
Old 06-14-2007, 02:30 AM
waggs
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: AJ97GT

That definitely sounds like more than just break in though. I'd say it's your transmission. Any chance you are shifting faster now and it's just that now you're noticing it? I know my transmission is slow (still not sure if it's just like that or if it's near rebuild time) if I shift too fast. Try giving it a little gas and see if it goes in smoother. (is smoother a word?[&:])
i hope not

before i installed it i noticed that it would take a little effort to go into gear (not enough to make me think about it much) but now the effort has doubled.
anyone that has installed the mgw: did you have the same problem as me?
the car is still under powertrain warranty and i'm gonna take itto the dealershipfriday to make a new key and fob. should i mention the problem to the service advisor or keep hush hush about it?

and i think smoother is a word.i always use it[8D]

Quick Reply: Installed MGW: problem=[