4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

supercharger whine/without supercharger?WTF!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 12:49 AM
01GTCONVERTABLE
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: supercharger whine/without supercharger?WTF!!!

My car always seems a LOT whinier whenmy g/fin the car...lol....only thing I know of..haha
Old 06-14-2007, 12:50 AM
mylongvictor
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: salvatore

why the center console? If not there should i take apart engine? lol

i was thinking throwout bearing myself but if it was would the noise go away?
[align=left][/align]

My center consel squeaks.... my car rattles.... and my break "clicks" into place...... all a nusence that I just deal with... lol.

Remeber.... built "Ford Tough"

not Chevy "like a rock!"
Old 06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

no the whining is there with the wife in/out of the car.lol

I don't hear any kind of rattles in the car yet, i have very low mileage though. it doesn't seem to come from the console area. Its more in the engine bay. CAN a compressor make bearing noises when the going bad?

yes "BUILT TOUGH"[:@]
[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-14-2007, 01:09 PM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

This may or may not help, but my car made an array of noises under the hoodafter about 40,000 mi.My brother and Ilooked under the hood and noticed that therewas"rust particles"(burgundy in color)that had put a lightcoat onall the accessories up front, which really wasn't that noticable until you really looked.My brother suggested thatit was the clutch assemblystarting to go bad on thea/c compressor. So, we replaced the clutch assembly andbearings, and while we were at it wenoticed the idler pulley was making some noise so we replacedthat and its assembly as well. Since then, the onlywhineunder my hood is my superchargerBest of luck.
Old 06-14-2007, 02:42 PM
salvatore
1st Gear Member

how much did you spend to replace the clutch assemble and bearings? maybe it could be that. Who replace it? If you did was it difficult or need any special tools? thanks

[align=left] [/align]
Old 06-15-2007, 01:55 AM
echoman
2nd Gear Member

My brother who is a mechanic did thework, and he also works at Napa so I got his discount. Here is the link to clutch assembly: http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...%2f+Coil+-+New
As for the bearings I couldn't find them on Napa's site but here they are on Advance auto's: http://www.partsamerica.com/productd...50&PTSet=A
Its been sometime but as I recall we didn't need any special tools to get the clutch assembly off, but it was a pain in the **** to get the new one back on and shimmed correctly. Some people might say that you need a pulley "puller" (I thinks thats what its called) to get it off but mine just came right off no probs. Maybe that was b/c it was wore out, but who knows.
Old 06-15-2007, 02:04 AM
XPSII800HO
1st Gear Member

My car also makes a whine under the hood somewhere most noticable at idle. Mine I'm pretty sure is the power steering pump, if you put pressure on the steering wheel one way or the other while stopped it changes the sound of the whine. It's kind of of an intermitent noise, or mabe I just have the radio too loud to hear it sometimes.