4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Pics and vid of my KB

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 06:15 AM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Pics and vid of my KB

Agreed Keep making the vids OrangeGT Just keep it same. we dont want to find out that u got busted or crashed[]
Old 01-09-2005, 09:07 PM
mysticsvtcobra96
2nd Gear Member

Yeah man sweet ride..Just take it easy with all that power..I got a $180 ticket about a month ago
Old 01-09-2005, 09:14 PM
blueangelfightr
5th Gear Member

Dude I seen that video on another site and was about to post it. Nice car man, that thing is wicked fast.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:07 PM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

thanks for the compliments on the video, I put that together. the install was actually done at another friend's house. for those who care, the civic on the left is his and will have a built h22a motor with turbo, should be about 400 at the wheels when done. the crx on teh right is mine, not a built motor so less boost, but it'll be a b18c with 9psi from a superchager, about 240hp to the wheels. doesn't sound like a lot, but the hatch weighs 2200 pounds full interior, the crx weighs 1950 full interior

anyway, now that you don't like me since I'm an inport guy... myself and two buddies put the kit onto the car, it's actually not hard, just time consuming. the biggest pains were actually getting the stock pullies back on, and this one PITA bolt in the back of the head that holds a heater hose in place. the kit is very complete, 9psi, intercooled, custom ecu program, new injectors, boost a pump. we also put in the suggested one step colder spark plugs, and boost, fuel pressure, and a/f ratio gauges. we did the complete charger install the first day, then the intercooler setup, boost a pump, chip, misc wiring, and gauges the second day.

the only negative is that the boost-a-pump directions aren't as complete/good as they could be, and that's a real important thing. they don't give a detailed list of hardware included, we ended up short a couple nuts and bolts and we didn't know till we got to the step that called for them, then we'd have to trek to the hardware store and kill time. for $5,000 you'd think they'd have a super detailed list, in fact for 5 grand they should give you two of every bolt you need they also included every size allan key you need except the one that fits the intercooler resivoir, and I think they should include the right drill bit for mounting the heat exchanger. but that's really about the only things I remember biatchin' about when installing it, and that's getting picky. if anyone has any questions about the install I'd be glad to help. after installing the kit the first time I know for sure I could do it again much quicker.

as far as the whole turbo vs certrifugal vs twin screw arguement, one of the mustang mags (wish I remember which one) had an article where they compared a vortech, kenne bell, and a TT setup all on the same mustang, same dyno, all at 9 psi interooled. very good article, the TT setup made the most power overall if I remember right, makes sense, only non-belt driven setup. the vortech and KB made the same peak hp if I remember right, but at 2000 or 3000 rpm the KB had a little over 100 more trq! there's that low street power that's nice to have, or a low street race roll in 2nd. is that going to make a difference in the 1/4 mile? I don't know, can't hurt though I do know that the more area under the curve (dyno plot) the better off you are.

the car got dyno'd yesterday, I'll post a video for you guys later tonight. it laid down a touch over 390hp and 400trq (all-motor was 267hp and 295trq) to the wheels, not too bad orangegt sent the dyno info over to KB so they could burn a new chip to send along with the new mass air meter (which is maxed at redline now) and intake. all that is supposed to be good for another 20hp at the wheels, orange is going to dyno it it again after to make sure.

you'll see in the video, the power is broad and everywhere. KB designs the twin screw to give another 1psi of boost at redline compared to down low, now the car pulls nice to redline now instead of going limp up top like before. all-motor it dyno'd 30 more trq than hp, now it's almost the same hp as trq.

it's going to moroso tomorrow, don't worry, we'll have video of that too the 315 drag radials should grab real nice at the track. hopefully the weather will be ideal and not too many people will be there so we can get a few runs. then maybe we'll go up there again after the intake mods. my personal guess is low 12's at around 115mph, we'll see tomorrow night

Old 01-11-2005, 10:32 PM
DeViouS
4th Gear Member

thanks for the info on the KB install etc. im lookin forward to see more vids from u guys
Old 01-12-2005, 12:54 AM
MustangNuB

so what exactly is the difference and better parts of a Centrifugal Vs roots type/KB ??

BTW WOW!!!! How much did that set-up run you, and did you have to have it dyno tuned or any type of tuning at all?? jesus i cant wait to get my stang.!!! nice job!! I envy you!!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:44 AM
candymanjl
4th Gear Member

the biggest difference between a certrifugal and roots type blowers is that the centrigfugal delivers boost depending on the rpm, more rpm = more boost, full boost at redline. the roots type blowers give full boost from a certain rpm until redline.