4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

How do you install brake pads?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Lizardbreath
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: How do you install brake pads?

Get a chiltons manual and use that to help you. Don't wing it.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:07 PM
yourmom6990
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: 97Cobra_kid

my front right wheel is making a noise and i was told it was the brake pad. what do you think it might be, the pad slipping off?
I bet the pad is cutting into the rotor. YOu can do everything that Matt's00GT says, but I had to push the piston back to compensate for the new(wider) pads.

So you can get a C clamp and push them in there (SLOWLY)
On a mustang, you may need the little caliper tool that looks like a square box to compress the piston. My pads werent very worn when I changed them so I didnt really have to compress the piston back in.

Take the old brake pad and put it against the piston/pistons and clamp it down slowly. The pistons will then move back into the caliper.

If it's a screeching sound you're hearing, it could just be the wear indicators. Basically they are small pieces of metal that stick off the side of the pad. They are there to let you know when your pads have gotten too worn.

If the rotor's grooved, see if you can get it turned. On the side of the rotor will be the minimum width that the rotor can be. It will be in millimeters. Measure it with a caliper/micrometer and if you have enough room left, just get it turned. If not, you will be picking up a new rotor.

Brakes are really quite easy. Get you a can of brake cleaner and spray off the brake assembly thoroughly after you take the wheel off. Be liberal with it. Brake dust is dangerous so you do not want to inhale any of it. Just spray it everywhere. I usually clean the rotor as well as possible so there are no contaminents when the new pad touch.

I think I pretty much covered everything?
that little square box is for the rears only.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:10 PM
Matts00GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: yourmom6990

ORIGINAL: Matts00GT

ORIGINAL: ZW99GT

ORIGINAL: 97Cobra_kid

my front right wheel is making a noise and i was told it was the brake pad. what do you think it might be, the pad slipping off?
I bet the pad is cutting into the rotor. YOu can do everything that Matt's00GT says, but I had to push the piston back to compensate for the new(wider) pads.

So you can get a C clamp and push them in there (SLOWLY)
On a mustang, you may need the little caliper tool that looks like a square box to compress the piston. My pads werent very worn when I changed them so I didnt really have to compress the piston back in.

Take the old brake pad and put it against the piston/pistons and clamp it down slowly. The pistons will then move back into the caliper.

If it's a screeching sound you're hearing, it could just be the wear indicators. Basically they are small pieces of metal that stick off the side of the pad. They are there to let you know when your pads have gotten too worn.

If the rotor's grooved, see if you can get it turned. On the side of the rotor will be the minimum width that the rotor can be. It will be in millimeters. Measure it with a caliper/micrometer and if you have enough room left, just get it turned. If not, you will be picking up a new rotor.

Brakes are really quite easy. Get you a can of brake cleaner and spray off the brake assembly thoroughly after you take the wheel off. Be liberal with it. Brake dust is dangerous so you do not want to inhale any of it. Just spray it everywhere. I usually clean the rotor as well as possible so there are no contaminents when the new pad touch.

I think I pretty much covered everything?
that little square box is for the rears only.
Gotcha. Wasnt sure as I never had to change the pads on the stang when I had it. I didnt put enough miles on it lol.