4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

HORRIBLE noise, only in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 08:09 PM
97snakebite
1st Gear Member

Default HORRIBLE noise, only in reverse

Forgive me if this question sounds kind of ignorant, but I am really not sure what this could be; there are so many varieties of things it could be, not sure where to start.[/align][/align]Whenever I'm reversing, rather I'm backing out of somewhere or just rolling back on a hill, a HORRIBLE shrieking noise comes from I believe it's the front wheels that sounds like brakes, but yet whenever I'm just driving in normal traffic and brake, and even when I brake heavily, they don't squeak. Not anywhere near that severely at least. My buddy said it was the brakes adjusting, but I've got rear discs and as far as I knew, only drums adjusted .. not discs. So I highly doubt that's what it is. Someone else said the wheel bearings maybe? But wouldn't it shake pretty severely under highway speeds if that were the case? I'm just kind of stumped and too short on cash to get this diagnosed .. any input would be appreciated, thank you.[/align]
Old 06-17-2007, 03:46 AM
97snakebite
1st Gear Member

Default RE: HORRIBLE noise, only in reverse

bump.. any input is appreciated and I listened to it closely today, it's coming only from the front driver's side tire..
Old 06-17-2007, 04:02 AM
Zanador
2nd Gear Member

Are you sure its not coming from the transmission right by the front wheels?
Old 06-17-2007, 04:26 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Same EXACTthing happens to my dads MINI Cooper S.

First off, nothing to do with your brakes. It's your clutch. My dad's does this everytime he stops to go from reverse to 1st gear. The clutch gives this scraping/screeching sound. He took it to the mechanic shop cuz we've never seen that happen to anybody before, and they said it's just an old clutch, and it has to do something with reverse gear having no synchromesh. (I thinkhe said it was thecombintion of actions made by the tranny to switch the gears to go the other way, while letting out the clutchor something.)I think if you change out your clutch it should stop, but please don't quote me on that. Just an expensive thought LOL. Sorry for being so vague, but that looks like it's exactly the same thing that happens to my dads daily driver everyday.

How many miles do you have on your car? An old clutch might be the culprit.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:27 AM
97snakebite
1st Gear Member

Hmm, well the thing about that is ... on the 31st day of my 30 day warranty, my pressure plate was crushed, and by a stroke of a 100% miracle they agreed to fix it for free even though it was like , 24 hours past its warranty. So a brand new pressure plate has been installed in the car as of December, 2006. Not sure if the pressure plate has anything to do with it as that's only one part of the clutch ... but I do know for a fact that's brand new.[/align][/align]Also, I jacked the car upand addressed the wheel that was making this noise,(the car wasn't on of course) and turned it a few times with my hand. Every full turn of the wheel in one very particular place, it made that shrieking noise. Could this possibly be the rotor? Or do you still think it has to do with the clutch upon reading that? I mean it has had problems going into reverse ever since purchasing the car and I was just thankful that it was only the reverse synchro and not any others ... so maybe you're right.[/align][/align]Bear in mind however, it has in the past made this noise simply when rolling back on a hill in neutral as well, not even in reverse or anything. [/align][/align]I really appreciate the input though, thanks a lot and lemme know what ya think :-)[/align][/align]- Zack[/align] [/align][/align]EDIT: I've got 62K on the Cobra just so ya know[/align]
Old 06-19-2007, 12:58 AM
CobraStangGT16
5th Gear Member

Hmmmmm....

If the rotor makes that noise, then I'd say thats your best bet.Have you tried to listen for it while moving forward at a very low speed, like the same speed as reversing? If it still does that, then I'd say thats your problem.

Have you hit anything recently, or maybe bumped a curb pretty hard? Take your wheel off and inspect the rotor on both sides. You may need to change it out due to warpage.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 AM
97snakebite
1st Gear Member

Yeah, it does make that noise very minutely when moving forward at a very slow speed. Any idea how much $$$ something like that is gonna take to get fixed?[/align][/align]Love your Cobra by the way[/align]