4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Motor popped

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 12:19 PM
lizzyfan
Underboss

Default RE: Motor popped

Keep us updated!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:35 PM
DeltaV
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ASUSMC

Dunno exactly what happened. Just romped on it gettin on the freeway and it shut down after I heard a clunk. It still clunks now but it starts right up and idles fine just with a little clunk and a little shake. Will have an idea tomorrow what exactly is goin on with the car gonna pull the motor out and see. Thinkin at this point that it may just be a blown out spark plug but won't know til tomorrow night some time.

If its done either MMR shortblock or a Zimmy shortblock (very good modular ford builder here in AZ). Until then its the queer car (1991 miata) and the 12 speed FTW!!!!!!
At least now you can keep your legs in good shape. Or you can always walk somewhere! LOL. Sorry about your loss. Good luck with the new shortblock!
Old 06-17-2007, 01:40 PM
wgdt21
5th Gear Member

hope its nothing too serious, good luck with it.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:24 PM
StickShifty
5th Gear Member

boost lbs???
Old 06-17-2007, 02:26 PM
ASUSMC
4th Gear Member

The legs can squat 455.... thats not an issue.

I will keep this thread in mind. Got beligerently drunk last night. Feel much better after that and no hangover. Quick game of MVP Baseball 2006 (the college one) and then off to start tearin at the motor
Old 06-17-2007, 05:06 PM
96GT226410
CSMG Moderator

Good luck. Sounds like you are pushing some serious power. Oh yeah, and your car was pushing good numbers, too.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:03 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: breagles

I always say forge first then supercharge later , but i learned that the same way you did . Stock blocks can't handle the psi . Good luck !

p.s. I have a crank rods and pistons sitting in my garage they're stock and I only have six good ones . They have approx 4k mi on them and you can have them if you want just pay the shipping . I'd hate to throw them away so I'd rather let someone have them .
A good tune and a already stout shortblock and there isn't any reason you can't run 10 PSI for quite some time...

Lots of people have done it (me included), but now and again you are going to see a motor let go at around 400 WHP, either from tune or just getting unlucky and having a weak shortblock to begin with.

Mines not a DD, but it gets the hell driven out of it every time it comes out of the stable... and I have had zero problems even at 70K+ miles.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:14 PM
cahtr6
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6

ORIGINAL: breagles

I always say forge first then supercharge later , but i learned that the same way you did . Stock blocks can't handle the psi . Good luck !

p.s. I have a crank rods and pistons sitting in my garage they're stock and I only have six good ones . They have approx 4k mi on them and you can have them if you want just pay the shipping . I'd hate to throw them away so I'd rather let someone have them .
A good tune and a already stout shortblock and there isn't any reason you can't run 10 PSI for quite some time...

Lots of people have done it (me included), but now and again you are going to see a motor let go at around 400 WHP, either from tune or just getting unlucky and having a weak shortblock to begin with.

Mines not a DD, but it gets the hell driven out of it every time it comes out of the stable... and I have had zero problems even at 70K+ miles.
I agree we are all taking chances on our stock short blocks but we all knew that before we chose this route.
Old 06-17-2007, 07:19 PM
2000GT4.6
6th Gear Member

Honestly at 420 WHP I don't even think I am taking a chance. I trust my tune and setup, and with the hell I have put the car thru (seen 7500+ RPM twice on major shift screwups and all the other crazy driving I have done) and nothing has gone wrong.

IF I do end up popping a motor, it won't be because of the blower, but because I did something stupid. 99.99 percent of the time its not the power level that kills you... its either your tune, mechanical failure like a pump/injector, or the driver being stupid.

There isn't any reason to forge your shortblock first and then go FI. All you are doing is wasting piles and piles of money on something that does absolutly nothing for you at the time. Getting the blower first, even if you have a DD and need to be really careful (say 8 PSI and no more than 390 WHP) you still enjoy all that power while saving money for the shortblock. IF you pop a motor at 8 PSI or less than 390 either your tune sucks or something else went wrong (or you had a defect in the motor from factory).
Old 06-17-2007, 07:45 PM
Frostbitten
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2000GT4.6
There isn't any reason to forge your shortblock first and then go FI. All you are doing is wasting piles and piles of money on something that does absolutly nothing for you at the time. Getting the blower first, even if you have a DD and need to be really careful (say 8 PSI and no more than 390 WHP) you still enjoy all that power while saving money for the shortblock. IF you pop a motor at 8 PSI or less than 390 either your tune sucks or something else went wrong (or you had a defect in the motor from factory).
+1

Quick Reply: Motor popped