MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang-7/)
-   -   Supercharger:Which To Choose (https://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-1996-2004-modular-mustang/305480-supercharger-which-to-choose.html)

MustangGT99 06-17-2007 09:26 PM

Supercharger:Which To Choose

Upon the upcoming winter i have plans of going the forced induction route and screw the 3hp bolt ons, as of now im leaning towards a kenne bell set up, but what do you guys think of procharger, and vortec as well, id like to get over 500 wheel hp w/ a f/i set-up which of 3 do you think will allow me to run high h/p and still have room for more with a pulley swap.....opinions appreciated or current numbers you have w/ your set up and boost pressure

mvr 06-17-2007 09:29 PM

RE: Supercharger:Which To Choose

depends on your budget. i am going to start piecing together a used centri kit in the next few weeks, so you can tell what my budget is.

Triisomy21 06-17-2007 09:33 PM

You wont see much over 400 on the stock block let alone 500. That's just the way it is. If you want more than that, buy a forged shortblock first.

Most superchargers have versions for that much power with room to grow. Kb 2.8, Vortech YSi, Paxton novi 2000, Procharger F1A.

Go do some research before making a post like this.

2000GT4.6 06-17-2007 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: Triisomy21

You wont see much over 400 on the stock block let alone 500. That's just the way it is. If you want more than that, buy a forged shortblock first.

Most superchargers have versions for that much power with room to grow. Kb 2.8, Vortech YSi, Paxton novi 2000, Procharger F1A.

Go do some research before making a post like this.

The YSi and F1A are entirely too much blower for anything but the most insane setups. Your talking blowers capable of 1200 (Ysi) and 1100 (F1A) horsepower, wayy to much for anything a 2v is going to dream about. According to KBs website, they don't even offer a 2.8L version for the 2v cars... you have to go with a 2.6L (max).

If your wanting plenty of room to grow without being completely out of the powerlevels the blower is built for (and running ineffciently) you need to be looking at a vortech T trim, Procharger Ds1c, or KB 2.6L (if nota 2.2). All of these blowers should support anything but the most wild/insane 2v setups.

So far as making 500 WHP, even with a shortblock its not that easy. You will still need an upgraded (from the standard blower kits) fuel system (dual cobra pumps, 60 lb/hr injectors, possibly rails, etc) not to mention supporting mods like exhaust (LTs/midpipe/catback a must) and intake boltons (t/b, plenum).

After you make that much power, 500 is going to be way to much for the stock suspension, and your going to want to upgrade the brakes, tires, and transmission.

In other words, your talking an easy 15-20+ thousand dollars to properly setup the car at that power level. Better have deep pockets to do it all at once....

MustangGT99 06-17-2007 09:47 PM

i assumed people thought by the numbers that i already have forged internals

edit: interals go hand in hand w/ the set up i would like to do, im merely asking for opinions not some wise crack about not knowing what im talking about

silverstang1996 06-17-2007 09:49 PM

so what, do you have them then? if so you would be well on your way to your goal.

2000GT4.6 06-17-2007 09:50 PM

Its not on your list....

bare minium, even with your shortblock, expect to still need to upgrade the trans eventually (at 500 its only a matter of time) suspension right away (shocks,struts, springs, control arms, subframes), brakes unless you like to live on the edge, 60 lb/hr injectors, cobra tank with dual pumps, and probably the fuel rails (might get away with this one).

Lots and lots o cash.

MustangGT99 06-17-2007 09:53 PM

oh yes the ever enchanting sig. list haha, i was just wondering what you guys thought of a supercharger set up that would get me to my goal either kb, vortec, or procharger...ive figured out all the extras im just being optimistic as to what brand to potentially go w/

Zanador 06-17-2007 10:01 PM

Is this a track car or daily driver? Root style blowers give you INSANE low end torque compared to centries, and are alot harder to handle with a daily driver. Personally for me, Centri for DD, Roots/Screw for track car is the better way to go. KB whine is awesome though.

2000GT4.6 06-17-2007 10:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MustangGT99

oh yes the ever enchanting sig. list haha, i was just wondering what you guys thought of a supercharger set up that would get me to my goal either kb, vortec, or procharger...ive figured out all the extras im just being optimistic as to what brand to potentially go w/
any of the brands you have mentioned are going to deilver the power levels you want, so long as you stay with the vortech T, procharger Ds1c, or KB (2.2 or 2.6 will both make 500+)