4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

Differential Leaking!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 10:05 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Default Differential Leaking!

Ok After my incident where my car hit some dirt, ive been having a leak from the differential. Me and my friend looked under and it seems like either the bottom bolts got loose, or the gasket is leaking. My question is how hard is it to change the gasket and put some new oil in a differential? Any other pointers would be help.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:10 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Differential Leaking!

Bump anyone ???
Old 06-17-2007, 10:18 PM
gtzx
2nd Gear Member

It's real easy, I've done it on my old 5.0. All you have to do is unbolt the cover, then clean the surfaces of the old gasket. Then instal the new gasgek, with a very thin layer of silicone (makes it easier to install and a slighty better seal). Then reinstall the cover, and fill it with oil. You might need to remove the rockguard to fill it with oil, the fill and check plug are on the front upper part of the differential housing. Hope that helps.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:20 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Yeah it helps alot thanx, How much/type of diff fluid do I need? And Im assuming since my diff is leaking I should refrain from driving it right?
Old 06-17-2007, 10:26 PM
gtzx
2nd Gear Member

I don't recall what oil or quantity it was, but if you go to autozone or another car part store, they should be able to tell you. And yes, if you're leaking more than just a few drops, then don't drive it. If you drive your car with inadequate amounts of dif. fluid, youll likely weld the gears together and lock it up.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:35 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Oh ok good I was just making sure, because my friend was like its not a real bad leak so you can drive it, but I like my car too much and I dont like chancing it. Ok well i do appreciate the help. Im assuming the gaskets arent that expensive right .
Old 06-17-2007, 10:38 PM
gtzx
2nd Gear Member

The gasket is pretty cheap, the gear oil might cost abit though.
Old 06-17-2007, 10:42 PM
lighswitch
3rd Gear Member

Ok so i guess im doin my diff tomorrow after work lol. Been working on my car all week tryin to fix my fender, and doors. So another day wont kill me lol
Old 06-17-2007, 10:43 PM
99gtstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: gtzx

I don't recall what oil or quantity it was, but if you go to autozone or another car part store, they should be able to tell you. And yes, if you're leaking more than just a few drops, then don't drive it. If you drive your car with inadequate amounts of dif. fluid, youll likely weld the gears together and lock it up.
i think around 2.5 quarts
buy 3 bottles i used royal purple 75-140
Old 06-17-2007, 11:53 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

There is no gasket, use hi-temp RTV sealant. [/align][/align]It use 2.0L (4.25 pts.) of 75W-140 synthetic gear oil, and if the oil you select doesn't have friction modifier in it (most aftermarket synthetics do) you'll need 3.8 oz. of friction modifier to keep the traction-loc clutch packs from binding up.[/align][/align]

Quick Reply: Differential Leaking!