4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang Technical discussions on 1996-2004 4.6 Liter Modular Motors (2V and 4V) within.

new throttle body/check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 04:01 PM
techsent
1st Gear Member

Default new throttle body/check engine light

Hey Guys,

Im about to buy an after market 70 mm throttle body for my 99 GT stang. I called the Ford service center to purchase their ownSVO throttle body and the mech said that the check engine light will come on and stay on after it is installed. Has anyone else experierenced this problem after installingyour after market throttle body?

Thanks,

Techsent
Old 06-18-2007, 04:07 PM
mvr
6th Gear Member

Default RE: new throttle body/check engine light

no check engine after i put accufab 75mm tb and plenum and jlt rai on at the same time.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:37 PM
99GTvert
is my username.

That sounds very shady, unless they really do throw a code and make the check engine light come one.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:48 PM
DTK
3rd Gear Member

I haven't heard of a TB causing a check engine light before. Don't know about the SVO (can't say I have heard of it before)but the frpp 70mm does not cause a cel that I have ever heard of.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

The dealer is full of it--there's nothing about a TB swap (properly installed of course) that would cause a DTC. However, make sure you disconnect the battery after installing ot to reset the adaptive memory and make the PCM relearn the idle speed...
Old 06-18-2007, 07:35 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

he might think (dunno why) it will affect the MAF. dozens and dozens of people have done the TB and plenum swap on this forum. Not once have i ever heard of a properly installed TB and Plenum combo triggering the CEL. A CAI, once in a while but not a TB + Plenum
Old 06-18-2007, 07:41 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

Is the car driving/idling/returning to idle normally? Maybe the TPS sensor was incorrectly installed?
Old 06-18-2007, 08:32 PM
02WhiteGTVert
3rd Gear Member

TPS. They're sensitive as a blonde woman on her period.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:39 PM
cliffyk
TECH SAVANT

Actuallywith the newer ones (from '99 to '04 I amd sure) there is no adjustment needed because the PCM establishes a base voltage reference as the lowest TPS output since startup; and since it knows the angular rate of resistance change it can determine % of opening and WOT from that baseline. [/align][/align]They can (and do) still wear out of course, however the PITA of adjusting them is gone...[/align]
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM
TheMustangLoveR
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cliffyk

Actuallywith the newer ones (from '99 to '04 I amd sure) there is no adjustment needed because the PCM establishes a base voltage reference as the lowest TPS output since startup; and since it knows the angular rate of resistance change it can determine % of opening and WOT from that baseline. [/align][/align]They can (and do) still wear out of course, however the PITA of adjusting them is gone...[/align]
But step 1 is to take a step back and ask "is the TPS sensor actually correctly installed?" You can install it while not having the notches in the rotating part of the sensor seated correctly. Also, the rotating part may have been rotated too much and knocked off the spring. But I think if any of these were the case he'd be complaining about his car having hanging rpm's and a bad idle, so I'm probably wrong.

Quick Reply: new throttle body/check engine light